Please Help! May have destroyed bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waterman View Post
    If this was my bike, I would jump bike from car and see if it would fire up. No throttle, just choke full out, petcock on run or reserve if tank is low. Crank for 20 seconds wait a minute crank 20 seconds again until running. After bike starts disconnect jumper cables and let scream on choke until it will not bog or wish to die when given throttle. This will eliminate bad battery.
    Warning - don't jump from a car battery while the car is running. Car off is fine. There's too much current from a car's powerful charging system, and it could fry your electrics. :shock:

I tell you just in case this is your first bike. Personally, I was clueless and lucked out that the first guy who gave me a jump knew that fact.

Comment

I forgot to address the cabling situation. I believe the general consensus is to try to locate shorter clutch and throttle cables off of a non L style bike; in this case a 550e or 550t model. Try to stay within engine size and type, by type I am referring to 8 valve older 550s up to 81 I believe. The later 16 valve motors used different carbs and may have different cable ends. Again, factory cables are not very expensive and seem to be favored by most over aftermarket.

Comment

Oops, I definitely didn't know the car didn't have to be on. I had done that a couple of times. Nothing seemed shorted out since all the electronics are on. I will check fuses and report, but if something was blown then things wouldn't turn on right?

Does bikebandit sell oem cables? I cant find them on the fiche... I always find the fiche super hard to read...

Comment

they aren't on the fiche I believe but just about any cable that's a close fit and has the correct ends will do.

look for taught cables that may be preventing something from opening or closing (or in the case of the choke keeping it from sliding)

Look for dangling or loose cables causing the same types of issues...

Comment

Maybe your starter motor has seen better days. Have you tried bump starting? I don't suggest trying to do it like in my sig.

Comment

Originally posted by skreemer View Post
              they aren't on the fiche I believe but just about any cable that's a close fit and has the correct ends will do.

The factory cables are still available from places that sell OE parts. If you are using the ever popular Superbike or Daytona bars, which have only a few inches of rise, the cables from a '82-'83 GS550M (Katana) are nice since they are the shortest offered for the 550.

Good luck.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Update

Sorry I have not updated for so long. Finally got a chance to work on the bike this weekend.

First I changed all my cables to proper length. I thought this would help with the whole starting issue as a bonus because I noticed my choke cable was binding. My thinking was that if the bike was not getting choke then it couldn't start.

I changed everything out and still no starting. I pulled the plugs like some of you suggested and tested for a spark. I did not see a spark on any of the spark plugs.

What could this mean? Why would all 4 plugs not ignite? is there something wrong with the electrical?

I also know I need a new battery, so when I was doing this test I again ran it off a car battery, which I know people have said not to do. but nothing blew out or shorted so I should be ok right?

I bought new plugs for the bike, but they are not the right fitting, so I need them exchanged.

I will keep you guys posted! Thanks everyone for the help!

I also could not stand not riding anymore so I went out this weekend and bought a '98 GSXR 600.

Comment

It could be coil or pickup related. I'm in south Central MN. Check to make sure you're coils are still plugged in and you didn't accidentally unplug them when you removed the tank.

Comment

No spark?

Elimination man......like he said above, don't spend money chasing phantom 'maybes' around. Make sure, there's a test for everything.

Hook up any kind of plug, it'll eliminate plug doubt. I keep a brand new lawn mower plug handy for tests like these.

Now go to your coils, find the + side and hook up a tester and the - to the battery. Turn the ignition on, you should see a minimum 10v or min. 13.5v if running.

No voltage? Get a coated wire, 14 guage works good, put in a cheap fusible link (2 bucks and always handy) and then connect it to your battery pos+, other end to your coils bridged, turn the ign/run button on and start. if she fires its your coils or the wiring to them, maybe even the switch itself in which you then check for continuity.

Coils have voltage? Check the ignitor. Ignitor good? Check the signal generator.

Elimination

The guys here taught me this within my first few days here, I owe them alot, this forum rocks.

Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2008, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind that when testing spark with a spark plug, a weak spark won't cut it. A better way is to get a spark tester that will actually make your coils work by using a huge gap. They aren't that expensive. When a spark plug is in the cylinder, it has to spark in an atmosphere that is at a much greater pressure then when the plug is just laying against the head. As a result, a much higher voltage is required. I've seen a lot of people think they have spark because the plug will spark when out of the head, but in reality the coil was too weak to fire the plug under compression. They beat their heads against the wall for a while, then bring it to me and pay me to tell them what they could've figured out if they just used the right tools.

Comment

OK, so I will get plugs that will fit and try from there. What exactly are the coils? i am pretty newb to this so could someone take a picture and show me? Are they the things underneath the tank, there are 2 of them that the spark plug wires are connected to? 2 spark plug wires per.

is there a way to make sure gas is getting into each cylinder? I stuck a screw driver in and pulled out and smelled for gas, but my whole garage smells like gas...

Comment

Originally posted by jager1313 View Post
                          OK, so I will get plugs that will fit and try from there. What exactly are the coils? i am pretty newb to this so could someone take a picture and show me? Are they the things underneath the tank, there are 2 of them that the spark plug wires are connected to? 2 spark plug wires per.

is there a way to make sure gas is getting into each cylinder? I stuck a screw driver in and pulled out and smelled for gas, but my whole garage smells like gas...
                          Yep, the coils are where the plug wires attach to the bike.

Gas in the cylinders s/b evident based on the condition of the plug for each cylinder.

Best of luck!

Comment

I hate unresolved treads, so i will close this out with the conclusion.

The whole problem turned out just to be a loose wire near the fuse box area. After paying a mechanic to tow to shop and an hour of labor, he simply reconnected the connector and I was on my way.

I think this connector lead to the coils which were not firing the spark plugs which were not combusting the gas.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!

Comment

Thanks for the lesson

Originally posted by jager1313 View Post
                              I hate unresolved treads, so i will close this out with the conclusion.

The whole problem turned out just to be a loose wire near the fuse box area. After paying a mechanic to tow to shop and an hour of labor, he simply reconnected the connector and I was on my way.

I think this connector lead to the coils which were not firing the spark plugs which were not combusting the gas.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!
                              Thanks for wrapping this up Mr. jager1313.

This is why it is so important to check and clean every electrical connection and ground on these classic bikes, from the head light bucket to the battery to the tail light, all along the harness, chassis, and the fuse box. I hope this lesson wasn't too expensive for you.

OK, that's enough of my Profound Glimpse into the Obvious.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X