2 Slow Starting Cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Slow Starting Cylinders

Hello,,,, from alabamy,,again. Oljo here.I've been getting to stretch my 1978 gs 550e out a little bit here lately.It runs great ,,cant hear or feel any missing while riding er around some.The next thing to work out is that when it's cold, not been started that day,,,,two cylinders are slow to fire off. This evening it was slower than normal.I usually choke to start,, two cylinders fire right off,,and then start backing off on the choke until i can use the throttle.when doing this today ,after seeing the other two were a lot slower to fire, I shut er down waited about five minutes,,cranked,, got three cylinders...shut er down again ,,waited ,,,,cranked and got all four. Flooding at start up maybe? i'd like to try to correct this myself.The plugs all seem to be getting the same spark when looking at it with my spark plug tester. any carb adjusting tips for this problem? thanks in advance...oljo from alabam

The first thing I would do is check the carb synch to be certain all four carbs have the same vacuum levels. If you have no vacuum, or reduced vacuum on a cylinder, you will have reduced fuel draw in proportion to the vacuum lost. No vacuum, no fuel.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Sounds like the float bowls are emptying and are trying to fill. Try priming the bowls first with the petcock and see if this helps.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Not sure what you have available where you are/ I would add some SeaFoam cleaner to the gas for a tank or two to see if it helps

Comment

Good replies so far, but I am going to add one more item. It is possible that the idle circuits in two of the carbs might be dirty and not working. As you speed up and use more throttle, you are getting into the pilot circuit and main jet, which appear to be working better.

One way to verify is to check the sync on the carbs to make sure they are all pulling evenly, as earlfor has suggested. If those two still take a while to warm up, you will likely have to clean the carbs, but running Seafoam through a couple of tanks would be a great way to start the cleaning process. For cases like yours, I would run a double concentration, but be sure to get the bike out and ride it. Gas with a cleaner added to it works better when flowing, so don't just add the Seafoam, ride a few miles to get it into the carbs and let it sit. It is better to add the Seafoam, top off the tank, then go for a 100-mile or so ride.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A Little Luck

Thanks, folks for the input.Igot off work this evening,primed the carbs ,all four fired off quick! I'll try this again tommorrow.It's about time i dropped in on my mechanic,I'll run the synch idea by him,and see what all is involved.I don't know how myself.He's been a good help and a great parts supplier.Usually,one to three days on anything! Can't beat that! I'll check on the sea foam too,, thank's again. I'll post some more if it continues to crank good priming,,maybe it'll help someone else too. Oljo from A:-Dlabam

Comment

Another Day

Just a line or two on the cylinder situation.I primed the 550 again today and it started right up! rode about 20 miles and ran great! thanks folks........oljo:-D

Comment

Working...
              X