Strange electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange electrical problem

I just got a new battery for my bike last week, and since I put it in, everything's been running fine. Until today. For no apparent reason, the digital gear indicator garbles up 2,5, and 6, and when I'm in neutral, the neutral light goes on and it indicates 1 at the same time. This is the strangest thing.

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
    I just got a new battery for my bike last week, and since I put it in, everything's been running fine. Until today. For no apparent reason, the digital gear indicator garbles up 2,5, and 6, and when I'm in neutral, the neutral light goes on and it indicates 1 at the same time. This is the strangest thing.
    had one do something similar, check ground on indicator lights, mine was intermittent.

Comment

Actually, the indicator lights have a common supply, with individual ground wires that run down to the selector switch.

Personally, I would check the contacts on the selector switch. You will have to remove the shift lever and the cover right behind it. Don't worry, no gasket, no oil to worry about, but be sure to keep your screws in order, as they are not all the same length. Look deep inside that cavity, you will see the gear indicator selector. It is usually held in with two screws, remove them and the switch assembly, clean the contacts, lube them with silicone spray, put it all back together.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I recently oiled my chain, is it possible that the contacts became dirty from that?

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
          I recently oiled my chain, is it possible that the contacts became dirty from that?
          Oh yeah.

(oh yeah is too short of a response)

Comment

Since you just oiled the chan and the problem surfaced, I would really check to make sure the contacts are clean and that both scews are in place to hold the selector to the engine. Sounds like they might be loose or missing, allowing crud to get in and affect electrical continuity.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So I opened it up and it was filthy as hell so I cleaned the inside of the cover. I saw the sensor and cleaned it up too. I put it back on, gasket, screws and everything, and now the indicator says 1 through every gear. When I opened up the sensor, on the part that I presume rotates, there was a little nub sticking out. When I went to put the part attached to the wire on, the nub got pushed in. This may be why. How do I get that out?

Comment

The aforementioned pin was not pushed in, but rather it fell out. I cleaned it up and put it back in, and not it's back to the original problem. FYI, my gear indicator is of the LED type.

Comment

Bump. Still having problems with it.

Comment

No personal experience but sounds like it's time to replace the indicator switch.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Where is that, the dash or by the transmission?

Comment

Working...
                      X