Removing mufflers on GS1100GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing mufflers on GS1100GL

Iv been wondering for a while how to remove the mufflers on my 82 gs1100gl. im looking to putting some new slip on mufflers that have more of a rumble to them and so i can keep the nice 4-2 look. i looked underneath the bike and it looks like from the muffler end it splits to two and from there one side is welded and one side looks like it is clamped on. does that sound right? or should i just remove the whole exhaust and check things out? thanks.

There are a few pieces to the system. The header pipes for #1 and #4 go from the head, down and back, all the way to the tip of the mufflers. One piece for each pipe, all welded together. There is a "pre-muffler", "resonance chamber", "crossover pipe" whatever you want to call it, that is bolted to the bottom of the oil pan. The outlets of that chamber connect to "Y" pipes that are part of the pipes from 1&4. Cylinders 2&3 have individual pipes that connect from the head to the inlets of the "pre-muffler".

For what you want to do, you would have to cut the pipes ahead of the mufflers. However, before you do that, consider a MAC 4-into-2 system with turnouts. It will give you the extra noise you are looking for, and it will give me the opportunity to buy your stock pipes. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

iv looked but i can find the mac 4-2 for my GL anymore. i dont want to spend 300+ dollars, im just looking put some better sounding mufflers on it.

Comment

Hacking up a stock liter GL exhaust is sacrilege seeing that they are hard to come by in good shape.

Sell off the stock exhaust, get yourself the 4-1 with all the rumble you're after, throw on the K&N pods and pull the front tire in second gear.... do-it, do-it, what are you waiting for?

Comment

really? mine is in pretty good shape, how much could i get for it. maybe that would cover the difference for an aftermarket exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by beachbum3478 View Post
            really? mine is in pretty good shape, how much could i get for it. maybe that would cover the difference for an aftermarket exhaust.
            Define good shape. Cause if its really good you could score a lot lol. really good OEM pipes for 82 - 83 850G/1100G's are VERY hard to find. Hell any exhaust for those years is hard to find.

Comment

hmm really, well other then having some slight rusty spots on the cross over and behind the headers, they are really nice. bike only has 8000 miles.

Comment

I would honestly believe over 500 is not out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                  I would honestly believe over 500 is not out of the question.
                  I agree. around $500, enough to buy something else and get some beer :P

Comment

Pipes

Hey Beach,
                    My 1980 1100L, the pipes are dragging when I make a right hand turn. I just recently put new tires on, that may be the problem. Any issues with you on this?
                    Victor Kolb
                    '80 GS1100L - :(
                    '85 GS550L - :(
                    '04 Bandit 1200S - gone
                    '02 BMW R1150 RT - gone as well
                    '15 Triumph Bonneville NewChurch
                    '17 Triumph Tiger 80 XRx

Comment

Originally posted by blokv1100 View Post
                      Hey Beach,
                      My 1980 1100L, the pipes are dragging when I make a right hand turn. I just recently put new tires on, that may be the problem. Any issues with you on this?
                      If the picture in your sig properly depicts your scoot, I would say the aftermarket 4-1 header is most likely hung lower relative to the frame as opposed to the stock unit.

I can lean my bike pretty far with the factory 4-2 exhaust without fear of scraping.

Comment

are you serious?? 500 dollars. wow

Comment

Originally posted by beachbum3478 View Post
                          are you serious?? 500 dollars. wow
                          Yea, good - mint stock exhaust for 82 - 83 850/1100's is very rare. And there are no aftermarket choices without mods.

Comment

does "good" classify as having pretty decent chrome where the eye can see and rust underneath at the two y joints and behind the beginning of the headers?

Comment

Working...
                            X