starter motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter motor

when i hit the starter button i hear my starter motor spin its sounds like a kitchen blender but it dont turn the motor over this is the second starter motor ive tried and its still the same, can someone help please

check your connections to the starter, your grounds, and your starter relay. the starter needs to do two things to turn your motor over: engage the flywheel, and spin. sounds like it is just spinning. there is a drive gear that needs to be activated via relay to engage the flywheel hence turning the engine over. at least thats the way it works on my jeep. cant imagine theres much difference between that and a bike.

sam.

Comment

What Bike??

but sounds like possible starter clutch problems. You need to drain the oil and pop the stator cover (left hand side). You will see that the starter is driving a smaller idler and a larger flywheel gear which drives the crank shaft through a sprauge clutch arrangement.

It is usually one of the following

a.) The big nut came off and the whole rotor is floating
      b.) The bolts that hold the starter clutch to the rotor sheared or came loose
      c.) The sprague clutch is gone and needs new parts or replacement.

Gotta get the cover off to find out.

I assume you checked your starter out of the engine and it spins freely (like a sewing machine) and you got all the parts back in. It is pretty easy as all the internals are under the stator cover.

You will need to get a puller for your engine dont use a regular puller you will destroy the rotor.

This was my bike as the barrels in the starter clutch were going out but catching just enough to start occasionally.

What is this? Should I plan to remove the starter or go after the starter clutch?

Posplayr

Comment

xkalelx

The starter clutch on the zooks is a lot different that most of the automotive starters. I'm not sure why the MC are designed this way compared to a car , but they are different and have different problems.

see prior post

Posplayr

Comment

starter motor

i have pulled the side cover off, when i hit the starter the sprague clutch spins freely but wobbles like its buckeled ill need to buy a special tool to pull it off.8-[

Comment

If it is wobbling

then the bolts that hold it to the rotor must have shered (see case b. above)

not sure what bike you have but Pitposse has a very large selection.

Posplayr

P.S. on my GS750EX, the puller is internal and simply a bolt. so they is a cheap way out sometimes.
            Last edited by posplayr; 04-17-2008, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but!!

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              but sounds like possible starter clutch problems. You need to drain the oil and pop the stator cover (left hand side). You will see that the starter is driving a smaller idler and a larger flywheel gear which drives the crank shaft through a sprauge clutch arrangement.

It is usually one of the following

a.) The big nut came off and the whole rotor is floating
              c.) The sprague clutch is gone and needs new parts or replacement.

Gotta get the cover off to find out.

I assume you checked your starter out of the engine and it spins freely (like a sewing machine) and you got all the parts back in. It is pretty easy as all the internals are under the stator cover.

You will need to get a puller for your engine dont use a regular puller you will destroy the rotor.

This was my bike as the barrels in the starter clutch were going out but catching just enough to start occasionally.

What is this? Should I plan to remove the starter or go after the starter clutch?

Posplayr

Your video is awesome!! This just started to happen to my starter. It just spins and spins and the bike don't start!!! Luckily I am driving a 78 GS750 with a kick start, which still works fine.

Am I doing any damage by kicking and riding the bike in this state? I planned on going on a looong trip this weekend 3-400 miles, going camping...

Comment

Well Duhno

If it is just the sprage clutch/barrels (worn out) then not much harm. Hopefully you don't have any rattles. As long as there are no noises when not running the starter you are probably OK.

Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  If it is just the sprage clutch/barrels (worn out) then not much harm. Hopefully you don't have any rattles. As long as there are no noises when not running the starter you are probably OK.

Posplayr

No rattles.... yet...

Thanks for the info and vid!

I'll kick it for the weekend...

oh and, I LOVE YOUR BIKE... gr8t rebuild thread!!

Comment

Working...
                  X