Upgrades finished and it almost runs right BUT I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrades finished and it almost runs right BUT I need help

Well the aftermarket stator, rectifier/regulator, dyna ignition, dyna coils, and Pingle Petcock are all installed on my 79 GS1000 and it’s almost running correctly. It now Runs faster and starts easier than I ever thought possible. However, when I am just cruising through town the bike’s plugs will foul and it will start missing. However, when I get it out on the open road and have the chance to really open in up it goes like a bat out of He11 :twisted: . The plugs come out looking black when I am cruising through town and dark brown when I am putting her through her paces. I not sure where to start, do the carbs need adjusted, or even rejetted or perhaps the timing needs advance? My local bike shop rebuilt the carbs last year and they did a pi$$ poor job of tuning them. If the carbs are the problem I want to do it myself. I have never done carb work before so if you think this is the problem please tell me how to adjust them and what settings to use.

First off, check/adjust your timing, then set up your idle fuel mixtures and sync your carbs, recheck the idle fuel mixtures, if you're still running rich at 1/8 to 1/2 throttle opening, try dropping the needles down(raise the E-clip 1) one notch,get a manual and be careful, only change one thing at a time so you can quantify results!!

Comment

I played with the idle adjustment (leaned it up a little) the other day and it made a difference but not enough of one. I will try adjusting the timing next.
      P.S. what exactly is involved in syncing the carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDan1
        I played with the idle adjustment (leaned it up a little) the other day and it made a difference but not enough of one. I will try adjusting the timing next.
        P.S. what exactly is involved in syncing the carbs?
        Where your carbs bolt to the bike (the manifold) you will see each one has a screw in it. you remove the screw and attach a sync gauge. it measures the vacuum . you then adjust your slide height so all the cylinders are balanced. Its not hard ,and you can get a mercury sync gauge for $40 (jc whitney) I have done mine once a year or more for the last five years. It can really make a big improvment in the way the bike runs.

Comment

You're really going to need to do all those things to get a baseline, to sync the carbs you need a manometer (carb/mercury sticks) to measure vacuum.You're adjusting each carb throttle opening(1,2&4) to be identical to each other(#3 base setting) throughout throttle position/rpm range, if you're not SURE what you're doing,please read the manual first before you make things worse!!

Comment

Working...
          X