Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Synchronizer reccomendations

Anybody used this el cheapo model?

I know this is one of those "buy the best you can afford" things, but dropping the green for shims is going to make it hard for me to get enough together to get something much better.

I'm going to talk to some people and see if I can borrow one locally, but my prospects aren't looking too likely.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks yall.

I have seen one of those used and found it to be a bit awkward. The needles bounce. Yeah, they have dampers, but you still have to look a the numbers (or angles) to make sure they are all aligned. With columns (as used by Motion Pro and Morgan Carbtune), you don't even need numbers, you just line up the four columns.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Super. I was hoping to 'bay one.
      Might make one. Dunno if it's worth it.

Comment

I had very poor experience with them. I borrowed these from a friend and found them prone to getting small rubber shavings in the pin hole in the brass tubes.

Maybe it was just me, but for a little more dough, you gould get something like this...

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I just ordered one 30 minutes ago

Comment

That unit from Motion Pro works very well. I have used one and found it to be very easy to use and easy to read, at least on a par with my mercury sticks.
          I understand the Carbtune is even better, but I have not used one yet, so I can't speak from experience.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

My carbtune came in a week ago, waiting on valve check this weekend before I use it. It does look well made and complete. They're (as of a week ago currency conversion rate). $122.00 shipping and all to the US. Pretty pricey for a tool I may not need again for a year or more, but so it goes. I guess I need to buy more bikes!

Comment

I did some searching but it looks like the original CarbStix can't be found. Used to be 20 bucks for the set like I have! A $100 bucks is just ridiculous. You can probably make one for about $20 depending on finding lab grade mercury. Last time I bought it it was hard to find but cheap for a couple grams. I'll chase it a bit and see if I can come up with a decent equivalent for mercury in a manometer.
              Oh yeah...using the merc stix...start your engine and warm it up first, then hook up the tubes. And don't blip the throttle...I've had a couple friends suck the mercury from my carbstix right through their engine.

Comment

I got my carb stix back in '79 or '80, and they were about $50. :shock:

You wouldn't think that just a little more mercury to fill SIX columns would cost that much more, would you? :-\"

Somehow, I have managed to hang on to these wonderful little Stix for all these years, and ...
                I have also managed to acquire enough spare mercury to declare most of southwest oHIo an EPA Hazardous Cleanup Site.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

I bought a set of the cheap gauges, and they have worked well for me. Yes it takes a little careful reading to be sure they are all the same, but it can be done. I ended up replacing the vaccume hoses because the ones that come with it are real cheap and crack and leak, so keep that in mind, it will cost a few bucks to replace with some good automotive hoses. The dampers should be closed down just enough to eliminate fluctuation of the gauge needles.

Greg

Comment

Purchased that same set of "cheapo" gauges from Z1. It works well if you're patient with it. Comes with little valves you can use to minimize the needle bounce someone mentioned. Best thing about this set is it came with two long and two short brass tubes. Those long tubes are first aid against burned fingers.

Later on I purchased a CARBTUNE. VEry pricey but much more accurate. I still use the long brass tubes from the cheap set.

Comment

I made my own mercury sticks back in the early '80's - some pito tubes and mercury. Used them for many years but ditched them in a move.

Got a set of the econo Motion Pro mercury sticks just as they were being phased out - $50 as I recall. Pretty much junk, very cheap, but they work which is what's important.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                      X