vent hoses, gas leak, carb floats, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vent hoses, gas leak, carb floats, etc.

I just resurrected my two cylinder 1979 gs425e. I had the carbs cleaned about 2 years ago and the bike has been winterized ever since.

This is another question about vent hoses and carbs. Unfortunately, I could not get detailed enough information from the previous questions. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

When I talk about the right and left carbs I am referring to them as I sit on the bike. The petcock is just behind the top of the left carb. The bike has the following hoses:

HOSE#1: This is big hose (12mm) that comes from the back side of the petcock and ties into a T-fitting between both carbs. There is an in-line filter in this line. I believe that this is the fuel supply to the carbs.

HOSE#2: This is a medium sized hose (8mm) that comes from the outer side of the left carb, loops over the carb, and connects to the petcock. I believe that this is the vacuum tube for operating the petcock when the bike is running.

HOSE#3: There is a big plastic box behind the carbs (airbox?). It has a big (12mm) hose that comes off the bottom of the box, goes straight down and hangs loose below the frame behind the crankcase.

I believe that HOSES #1, #2 and #3 are in the correct locations.

HOSE#4 (left carb) and HOSE#5 (right carb): There is a small hose (4mm) that comes from a brass nipple on the bottom (bowl?) of each carb. Both of these hose go straight down and hang loose below the frame behind the crankcase. When the bike is running or when the petcock is in the PRIME position, gas runs out of the line on the left carb but not on the right carb.

HOSE#6 (left carb) and HOSE#7 (right carb): There is a medium sized hose (8mm) that comes off the inner side of each carb above the bowl. Both of these hose go straight down and hang loose below the frame behind the crankcase. When the bike is running or when the petcock is in the PRIME position, gas runs out of the line on the left carb but not on the right carb.

The bike will run. When it does, it feels like only the right exhaust is getting warm. This makes me think that the left carb is not working properly but the right is.

I believe that the petcock is working properly as it lets gas through when the bike is running or when petcock is on PRIME. It does not let gas out in the ON position.

Here are my questions:

1. What are HOSES #4 and#5?
    2. What is the position of HOSES #4 and #5? Should the loose end hang down behind the crankcase or be positioned above the carbs?
    3. What are HOSES #6 and#7?
    4. What is the position of HOSES #6 and #7? Should the loose end hang down behind the crankcase or be positioned above the carbs?
    5. If the petcock is working properly, do you think that there is a float problem on the left carb only? What are the possible methods for repairing the float?

Thanks to anyone for your help. My Clymer manual is on its way.

Zach

Re: vent hoses, gas leak, carb floats, etc.

Originally posted by fast425
    Here are my questions:

1. What are HOSES #4 and#5?
    2. What is the position of HOSES #4 and #5? Should the loose end hang down behind the crankcase or be positioned above the carbs?
    3. What are HOSES #6 and#7?
    4. What is the position of HOSES #6 and #7? Should the loose end hang down behind the crankcase or be positioned above the carbs?
    5. If the petcock is working properly, do you think that there is a float problem on the left carb only? What are the possible methods for repairing the float?

Zach
    Hoses 4&5 are fuel overflows, they should not go onto exhausts, but should be below carb bowl level

Hoses 6&7 are air vents for bowls, they can be removed or go anywhere you want, but not pinched, or open end up

On left carb, check that, A-the float floats, B-The float height is correct, C- The float needle (has no grooves or blockage) and seat are sealing,if these are suspect replace them

Comment

Almost there!

Thanks for the help.

What I found was that a small tap with the rubber mallet did free up the left carb floats. The gas no longer leaks from the vent and drain lines. I am still not getting the left cylinder to fire. It has compression and forces what smells like an unburned gas mixture out of the exhaust pipe. I am going to replace the spark plugs and check for spark. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Zach

Comment

Great, sounds like you're on the right track, check the float pivot pin to make sure there are no grooves in it, or anything causing it to hang up, also, if that is the one that was repaired, could it be that one side is heavier,causing the float to bind sideways as it goes up and down?

Comment

Working...
        X