Re-torquing the block question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-torquing the block question

Finally picked up the 83 1100E this past weekend and there is a small oil leak between the engine case halves at the front of the engine. I know the head is supposed to be re-torqued at certain intervals but I was wondering about doing the block.
    Seems to me that it shouldn't cause a problem as the bearings carried between the engine halves have pretty stout outer races and it doesn't look like they would be subject to distortion but... that's just my thinking through it.
    Anyone done this before or do it on a regular basis as part of regular maintenance?
    Or maybe a suggestion on what would be best type of sealer to apply externally in this area to plug the leak?
    Thanks.

Re: Re-torquing the block question

Originally posted by pjackson
    Finally picked up the 83 1100E this past weekend and there is a small oil leak between the engine case halves at the front of the engine. I know the head is supposed to be re-torqued at certain intervals but I was wondering about doing the block.
    Seems to me that it shouldn't cause a problem as the bearings carried between the engine halves have pretty stout outer races and it doesn't look like they would be subject to distortion but... that's just my thinking through it.
    Anyone done this before or do it on a regular basis as part of regular maintenance?
    Or maybe a suggestion on what would be best type of sealer to apply externally in this area to plug the leak?
    Thanks.
    I wonder if that is were my leak is comming from? I have one in the front that is not the valve cover or the head gasket. It almost looks likes it comes from were the cylinder stud that you can see behind the header passes up through the block to the head. Im going to put some die in it and find out exactly were it is comming from this sat. Have you ever heard of one leaking there?

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
      Thanks.
      I wonder if that is were my leak is comming from? I have one in the front that is not the valve cover or the head gasket. It almost looks likes it comes from were the cylinder stud that you can see behind the header passes up through the block to the head. Im going to put some die in it and find out exactly were it is comming from this sat. Have you ever heard of one leaking there?
      So your's isn't the base gasket? I guess one of the cylinder studs could leak? But wouldn't that indicate a possible big problem ready to happen, like the stud pulling lose from the block?

Comment

You dont need to re-torque the bolts since the case-halves doesnt have a gasket other than liquid such. To properly fix yor leak you must disassemble the halves and put some new sealant on. Many hours job for such a minor fault The cheap way is to clean the enging and apply some black silicone over the split, spit on your finger, and smeer it out as nice as you can. Let it dry and it should work for a longer while. If you have a shiny engine, not black, I would use a clear silicone for bathroom use since it doesnt turn as yellow as other clear silicones does after a while.

Comment

So what do you think, will it possibly cause any problems resettings the torque on the bolts just to see if it reseals the cases?
          Like you said, I'm not about to take the engine apart just to fix the leak. I've already got one tore down and thats enough to keep me busy for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
            Thanks.
            So your's isn't the base gasket? I guess one of the cylinder studs could leak? But wouldn't that indicate a possible big problem ready to happen, like the stud pulling lose from the block?
            I dont think so. I have heavy duty APE studs in the motor because of the nitrous. Star racing reassembeld the motor and their reputation is outstanding, I think the leak is comming from somewere else but colecting in that area after I get the dye in the oil I will be able to tell better

Comment

You won?t have any problems retorquing, but I doubt itfix the leak....
              It?s like I said before. Since it leaks, there isnt any sealant left between the halves. It?s not a major concern, the oil is splatter from the crank inside so the pressure is not that high as in a oil gallery or similar.

Comment

Working...
              X