Will These Camshafts Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will These Camshafts Fit

Hi. Can anyone out there tell me if the camshafts from the GS550B ('77) model fit and operate OK in a GS650 head. If so are there any alterations or special adjustments to be made. Also will the 550 tappet cover fit the 650 head. Any help much appreciated.
    On another issue I have seen a GS550 with a boxed, square section swinging arm fitted to it. looks like a later model Suzuki. Can anyone tell me which model it is off and if any modifications need to be done.

Cheers. Don.

My parts cross reference program shows only 550 cams work on 550's. 650's have a different cam.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
      Hi. Can anyone out there tell me if the camshafts from the GS550B ('77) model fit and operate OK in a GS650 head. If so are there any alterations or special adjustments to be made. Also will the 550 tappet cover fit the 650 head. Any help much appreciated.
      On another issue I have seen a GS550 with a boxed, square section swinging arm fitted to it. looks like a later model Suzuki. Can anyone tell me which model it is off and if any modifications need to be done.

Cheers. Don.
      Don on your cam shafts, on the shaft sprocket there is a number stamped into it. If they are the same (and i think this relates to the timing of the cam more than anything) you MAY be able to use them. But i am not sure on that.

Also, on the swingarm, its a fairly comon mod to see a GS1100 alu boxed swinger on a 750 (which i did) or a 1000. I know it adds about 2 inches of wheelbase to the 750, i think its a stock exchange for the 1000, i would bet it would be even more than two inches on the 550. Not sure if thats the alu swinger they used or not, or maybe they used one off a more modern 550.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Don on your cam shafts, on the shaft sprocket there is a number stamped into it. If they are the same (and i think this relates to the timing of the cam more than anything) you MAY be able to use them. But i am not sure on that.

Also, on the swingarm, its a fairly comon mod to see a GS1100 alu boxed swinger on a 750 (which i did) or a 1000. I know it adds about 2 inches of wheelbase to the 750, i think its a stock exchange for the 1000, i would bet it would be even more than two inches on the 550. Not sure if thats the alu swinger they used or not, or maybe they used one off a more modern 550.
        TCK the real issue is I have a 650 head and I want to insert the 550 camshaft and sprockets onto it. I need to know I guess if the cams will physically bolt into the 650 head. The cam caps look similar. I also need to know if the rocker cover from the 550 will fit the 650 head. Will save me some dollars when I start the conversion if I can use 550 parts. I also think I need CV carbs, I believe the VMs will not fit on the 650 head.

In what way will the longer wheelbase affect the handling of the 550 if I fit the longer boxed swing arm.

Cheers. Don.

Comment

Originally posted by phaserburn View Post
          My parts cross reference program shows only 550 cams work on 550's. 650's have a different cam.
          Yes I know, but it could just be a different lobe profile. The cam might still physically bolt into place. Thanks.

Comment

Weren't the 650s 16-valve heads?
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
              Weren't the 650s 16-valve heads?
              No they were all 8 valve heads.

Comment

Working...
              X