Where is the oil pressure regulator ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the oil pressure regulator ???

I have an 82 GS450 with no oil pressure.
    I have hooked up an oil pressure gauge per the shop manual, and at 3k I have about 5 psi. Installed new oil pump and filter with no change.
    Suspect the oil pressure regulator is stuck open, but cannot find the reg.
    Dealer said drop the pan, and it will be right there, wrong !!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Greg M

MUCH more knowledgeable guys than me here, but I don't think that 5 is "No oil pressure", at least not on the larger GS bikes. I think they only run 8 to 10 PSI.

Comment

I think I read that a damaged pressure switch can also cause low pressure...

Comment

pressure egulator

Let me back-up, I checked the oil pressure, because the oil light was on constantly, with oil level at top of stick

According to factory shop manual, the oil pressure should be 43-78 psi at 3000 rpm, currently is 5 psi at 3k.
        Concerning the oil pressure switch, I believe it only turns the oil light on and off.

There is an oil regulator according to the parts fiche.

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Comment

well by looking at that diagram you can tell what it will look like and can have a lok for it with the oil pan off.
          it should be near the oil pump screwed into the main oil passage.

the diagram makes it look like it is screwed into the oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
            well by looking at that diagram you can tell what it will look like and can have a lok for it with the oil pan off.
            it should be near the oil pump screwed into the main oil passage.

the diagram makes it look like it is screwed into the oil pan.
            Pretty sure it IS on the pan. One way to find out for sure...
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have an o-ring between an oil passage and the oil pan. Don't know if you do but if it's gone or damaged you will have very low oil pressure.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

not a smart guy, but...

Hi,
                I have had similar issues with my GS650 (check out my previous threads if you want). I am getting set to change my regulator to see if that solves the problem.

I would change the O-ring because it is probably worn. However, I don't think that will solve the problem.

The regulator should be shoved up in there on the bottom end, or perhaps it is stuck to the oil pan. If you can post a picture we can be of more assistance. On my GS650 it is near the front by the oil filter.

How long have you left it running with no oil pressure? Mine kicks in after a couple minutes at about 2000 RPMs.

Good luck!
                Lyle

Comment

Found Oil Regulator

For what it is worth, I found the oil pressure regulator on my 82 GS450.
                  To access to regulator, it is necessary to pull the engine, split crankcase halves, and remove transmission gears.
                  Then you will see oil pressure regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg M View Post
                    For what it is worth, I found the oil pressure regulator on my 82 GS450.
                    To access to regulator, it is necessary to pull the engine, split crankcase halves, and remove transmission gears.
                    Then you will see oil pressure regulator.
                    Sounds like fun. :?
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Now the big question: after all that work, was that the problem??

Comment

Working...
                      X