1150 oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 oil leak

I have one in the front on the left side only that is not the valve cover or the head gasket. It almost looks likes it comes from were the cylinder stud that you can see behind the header passes up through the block to the head. Im going to put some die in it and find out exactly were it is comming from this sat. Has any body ever heard of a leak in this area? is there a quick fix? It eventualy fills the cooling fins and then mist the side of the bike and my pants . Its one of the last things on the to do list for the GS (If I wash the bike frequently it does not get that bad) and I would like to get it done so I can enjoy the rest of the season trouble free.

I had that on the 750,it was the head gasket O-ring around the stud,(oil passage to top end) try re-torquing head when ice cold, before replacing

Comment

Skip I think Daveo might have nailed it. Let us know what happens.

Comment

Congratulations....
        You have one of the most common problems a GS can have, and it is due to old age It comes from the two middle studs in the front of the engine. When Suzuki "invented" it they propably thought how they should be able to lead in air to cool the head at no 2 and 3 sparkplugs. They made a passage around the studs so the air could run through. To seal the studs from leakage from the head they mounted 2 very special nuts that would fill the same task as a banjobolt would do in hydraulics. To do the job still letting air through. And the seal to keep the oil in is a common o-ring, and your?s are begging for retirement.... Replace the o-rings and your ok. However, I dont know if you can reach them without removing the exhaust camshaft. Propably not I?m afraid. Be careful with them cam-bearing bolts. Threads come off easy in the head and the bolts require an exact torque not to stretch. 11Nm is good
        Good Luck

Comment

thanks for the help, Im going to put ultra violet die in the oil and make sure that is were it is coming from. Im in no rush to fix it its gonna wait a week or two. Can I change the o rings without removing the head? Taking the cams out is no big deal but I dont want to spring for another head gasket yet.

Comment

You only loose the two nuts with the o-rings, nothing else but the camshaft, replace and grease them a little and put them back and retorque them.

Comment

Originally posted by chrille_08
              You only loose the two nuts with the o-rings, nothing else but the camshaft, replace and grease them a little and put them back and retorque them.
              Thanks chrille_08 ! I think you have the problem solved. Im gonna do it a week from sat and ill post and let you know how I make out. Boy I love this site!

Comment

Working...
              X