Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test your stator

Hello friends,

I've added a pictorial guide to my little BikeCliff website to supplement The Stator Papers fault finding chart. Check out the Stator Test page and let me know if there's anything I need to edit.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2008, 05:39 PM.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
    let me know if there's anything I need to edit.
    Just a quick glance through it, but the only glaring mistake was the meter display on the last picture. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i always thought that OL on a multi-meter meant "overload" may be wrong though.

Comment

Details

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Just a quick glance through it, but the only glaring mistake was the meter display on the last picture. 8-[

I knew you'd notice that Mr. Steve. I actually took that picture when I was measuring the resistance between the legs. I couldn't take a picture, work the throttle, and hold the leads all at the same time. 8-[

If you look closely at the meter, it's set for ohms and not AC voltage, but we're measuring the same wires, just a different value. Sorry about the flash. I couldn't figure out how to darken that one area using Gimp. I'll work on it.

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2008, 03:38 AM.

Comment

I have not had the pleasure of replacing the stator on my bike. The guide that you provide is very clear and I've already saved a copy for future reference. Thank you for posting this information.

Comment

Another GREAT EFFORT Cliff. As far as I am concerned your "LITTLE" website is HUGE. It is "THE OTHER BIBLE" or "THE GS BIBLE" for all sources of anything GS. Again congrats on a great effort.

Cheers. Don

Comment

mr cliff

i didnt even have to look at your newest addition to know its a valuable contribution to say the least

now, something else in your post caught my fancy (forgive me for being in good spirits tonight):

I was measuring the resistance between the legs
              WHOSE legs???

lol

GS850GT

Comment

I knew you'd notice that Mr. Steve. I actually took that picture when I was measuring the resistance between the legs. I couldn't take a picture, work the throttle, and hold the leads all at the same time. 8-[

If you look closely at the meter, it's set for ohms and not AC voltage, but we're measuring the same wires, just a different value. Sorry about the flash. I couldn't figure out how to darken that one area using Gimp. I'll work on it.

BassCliff
                If you want to redo it sometime, you could simply adjust the idle to 4000rpm or wherever it is you want it.

Comment

This is true, the knob on the carbs takes it up. I have a throttle lock on the handlebars that I use to hold it open
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I'm seriously considering putting the idle adjustment from another bike onto my GS, it's a horrible design to have it in the middle where it's... difficult to get at. All the other bikes I've had/have have a knob on the left side that you turn in order to adjust the idle.

Comment

I m dum

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                      This is true, the knob on the carbs takes it up. I have a throttle lock on the handlebars that I use to hold it open
                      I am such a bird-brained idiot sometimes.

I've got a throttle lock. I didn't even think to use it. Thanks Mr. duaneage!

BassCliff

Comment

I am such a bird-brained idiot sometimes.

I've got a throttle lock. I didn't even think to use it. Thanks Mr. duaneage!

BassCliff
                        With how much you've done for guides for doing stuff on GSs, nobody is going to complain if it isn't quite perfect. It's a great resource even if you didn't take pictures of exactly what you wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
                          i always thought that OL on a multi-meter meant "overload" may be wrong though.
                          it's infinate resistance.. not an overload specifically, it basically means open loop, as i understand it. but what it REALLY means is that somewhere, there is a problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X