Just bought 1982 GS450L and 1980 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought 1982 GS450L and 1980 GS850G

I got the GS450 for my brother. He hasn't ridden a bike before, and I thought this would be a good starter bike.
    I'll be picking up the 450 tomorrow, and I'll pick up the 850 this weekend. They both need a lot of work. The biggest hassle with the 450 is it has no exhaust system, and I think it needs fork seals. I'm picking up a GS250 for parts for the 450, but the exhaust will not fit. If worst comes to worst I'll bend up some stainless steel tubing, and weld up some kind of connectors.
    The 850 needs the front fork seal, the front brakes are sticking, and needs an air box. It also has an oil leak.
    I just received the Suzuki Shop Manual for my 83 GS750E today, now I can get to work on that, too.
    As I get into these I know I'll be asking a lot of questions. This is a great site!!

Re: Just bought 1982 GS450L and 1980 GS850G

Originally posted by Mastiff
    I got the GS450 for my brother. He hasn't ridden a bike before, and I thought this would be a good starter bike.
    I'll be picking up the 450 tomorrow, and I'll pick up the 850 this weekend. They both need a lot of work. The biggest hassle with the 450 is it has no exhaust system, and I think it needs fork seals. I'm picking up a GS250 for parts for the 450, but the exhaust will not fit. If worst comes to worst I'll bend up some stainless steel tubing, and weld up some kind of connectors.
    The 850 needs the front fork seal, the front brakes are sticking, and needs an air box. It also has an oil leak.
    I just received the Suzuki Shop Manual for my 83 GS750E today, now I can get to work on that, too.
    As I get into these I know I'll be asking a lot of questions. This is a great site!!
    I have never seen a question gone unanswered. The wealth of knowledge is outstanding here

Comment

Just keep in mind IT WILL NOT RUN PROPERLY without the air box or pods and jet changes

Comment

Denis, I've got an airbox for an 850 if you want to stay stock. It doesn't have the carb boots but I think everything else is there. Let me know if you need it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Dgeorge, I'll let you know after I get the bike, and see what I have to work with. I'm leaving now to pick up the 450L. When I get back I'll let you guys know what shape its in. Take care.

Comment

Working...
          X