Tire testimonial or just getting old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire testimonial or just getting old?

I have never gotten more than 5,000 miles from a rear tire. My current Dunlop K491 now has 10,000 miles and is barely worn. It would be a stretch to say it's 1/4 worn. It's weird.

Now my 850L is 25 years old and box stock - meaning to say it doesn't handle well. I go slow around corners, I go slow on the straights and I stop slowly. Possibly the most conservative rider in the world.

The question is, is it the tire or the riding style that gives me this slow tire wear? I ask because I might buy another tire someday.

The k491 has a belt under the tread that adds stability and extends life. The rubber is also fairly hard. Both these things add up to long life, plus your driving pattern helps.

Unfortunately, Dunlop discontinued those tires and the new version does not come in as many sizes as the old version. Hopefully, your sizes are not affected.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Rider gets older and tyre technology gets better.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
        Rider gets older and tyre technology gets better.

Word ! When I was young I smoked a rear 391 in 3000 miles. The replacement 491 has 6000 miles and still looks new.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I am probably the champion of tire brutality, and I had 12,000 miles on a set of 491 Elite IIs. They could have gone another 3,000 easily, but I had a set of Pirelli Sport Demons waiting in the wings and got impatient.

I'd have to say there was a tradeoff, mainly in feel. They gripped well enough in the dry, but felt rather stiff and heavy, like new hiking boots. The Pirellis felt like slippers, and had better wet grip.

They stopped making the 491 in 17" rear sizes, but they still make it in 16" sizes for the L models (MT90-16). The MM90-19 front is also still available. However, the Elite III is now available in those sizes, and all indications are that it is even better in terms of grip and feel, with excellent longevity.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My K491 currently has 30,000 miles on it. It's almost gone but still not slick. I have a new one in the shop that will go on soon. My riding style is a little on the conservitive side.
            Happy trails,
            Buddy
            09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
            83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
            81 GS650G for the wife.
            82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
            I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
            If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
            Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Working...
            X