Quick cold start question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick cold start question

Some of you folks are well aware of the problems I've had and you've been my salvation thru this, thank you!
    My question is this... is there a typical start procedure for cold bikes8-[

for example... prime for 30 seconds, full choke and start or..prime, half choke, start, or wave the key over the gas tank, say some bizarre GS prayer, and start.
    I'm askin' cuz today she started but took some time and now that I am done fixin now including syncing the carbs which I did yesterday( borrowed some guages from a friend).
    She runs GREAT, better than she ever did, almost immediate response all the way thru the throttle positions, holds easy at 80 and ready to go for more, idles well, just that darn cold start.
    By the way I am out 3 1/2 turns on the screws and that seems to be where she runs the best, any ideas?

Shouldn't need prime unless the carbs are empty for some reason. Full Choke and it should fire up before You can release the starter button if everything is right. Then back off the choke some and let it run for a minute or Two. If You need Prime on a regular basis there is a problem with the carbs.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

They're all different! Priming for around 30 seconds is usually a good idea if the bike has stood for a while (petrol slowly evaporating out of the carbs) and you'll need choke - usually on full, but it varies. Once you've found what suits your bike stick to it.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi Mr. kvgarrison,

Are your valve clearances in spec? Have you checked them lately? Hard starting when cold is a symptom of valve clearances that are too tight.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Even after a couple weeks of sitting I normally just have to twist and release the throttle, put her on full choke, and push the button. However, all bikes are going to be different. Where its parked and the ambiant conditions are going to mean alot.
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi Mr. kvgarrison,

Are your valve clearances in spec? Have you checked them lately? Hard starting when cold is a symptom of valve clearances that are too tight.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            the valve clearances have all been done, Bwringer talked me into doing them, they're all in spec as far as I can tell, ordered new shims from crc2 online, waited a little bit for a 2.45 but they're all at the loose end of the spec

Comment

provided the following:
              the compression is good,
              the carbs are tuned,
              theres no air leaks,
              the valves are in spec...
              i'd look at:
              the battery (new?) and
              the voltage drop that you might be having at the coils

good electrical system is needed to ensure the coils still get enough power to produce a good spark while a lot of current is drawn by the starter motor while cranking
              good charging system is needed to ensure fully charged battery at every start
              GS850GT

Comment

What is the gas like? I find my bike starts better on premium, and if the fuel is stale forget it.

THe chokes on these bikes are primitive, but if there are leaks in the seals around the choke plunger that can cause hard starting.

Prime may cause carb flooding if the bike is on the sidestand. 30 seconds is a long time for a bike with full carbs, it could be your overdoing it on the priming.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                X