First time, slide carbs project this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time, slide carbs project this weekend

Well I'm about to get my feet wet. Last week I bought a 1978 GS550C. It has sat since 1990. I'm working on the rusty gas tank at present. This weekend I'm going to strip the carbs down. They are froze up as nothing moves. No big deal except I have never really worked on slide carbs before except for dirt bikes, not 4 at a time. Getting them apart, cleaning them up, and getting them back together isn't going to be a problem, I'm hoping. The problem I see it that there are likely some differances between the CV carbs and these. Any tips, hints, or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading other posts on this subject and it appears that some of you are really experienced in these carbs, and I'm not so proud that I can't say this is all new to me, so if you have some pertinant info which will help me out, please voice it now before I actually get into them. As always, thanks in advance for any and all opinions and advice, I need it.

Bob, here is a link to a web site that has photo break downs of a lot of different carbs, http://www.dansmc.com/carbs/Japanese.../Carb_pics.htm also if you just go to http://www.dansmc.com he has an online mc course with some really good info. Well hope that this helps with your project.

Comment

The slide carbs are easy to clean. If the slides are frozen spray them with PB Blaster (penetrating catlyat) let them sit up side down so that it will soak in. do it several times, when you hopefully can move the slides spray them liberally with WD40. Then do your cleaning

Comment

Thanks for the links and the advice, I don't know why these things have me so nervous. I've done the cv type many times and have had great success but these things got me a little scared. I'll tear into them Saturday morning and see what happens. Thanks again, all help is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X