Suzuki replacement airboots don't fit: '80 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki replacement airboots don't fit: '80 GS750E

I ordered 4 new airboots from the dealer. They are part #13881-49020 (stamped on boot)

The carb inlets OD is a good deal smaller than the airboots ID.

I notice these are spec'd for the 82 GS 1100 here:

http://www.alpha-sports.com/spst/198...100E,ES/01.htm

In the microfiche at that site, I looked up the correct boots. They were part # 13881-49200, which was updated to 13880-49020, which was updated to 13880-49021, which is, I'm pretty sure, what is printed on the bags these airboots come in!

What I'm curious about: Do the 1100's have larger carb inlets than the 750's? Probably. It seems suzuki has went to one part number for both, and if this is the case, going back to the dealer for the "correct" part would be fruitless.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Yes

Yes, they do, and you are right. The 750 carbs are 32mm and the 1100 carbs are 34mm. They ordered the wrong thing.

One thing you will soon realize is that most of the people who work in the parts departments of most Suzuki shops are really, really stupid; what's worse, they don't really care if you get what you need, when you need it.

You have to 'hand walk them' through just about every aspect of an order. Always have parts numbers available and always verify your order before leaving the establishment. The dealerships are in shameful shape compared to the 'old days'.

P.S......Don't let them touch your motorcycle!!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Well, I'll take it all back and see if they can get me the right part number from their fiche (as mentioned I couldn't get it online), if not I guess I have to go to 4 K&N's!

Comment

No

No, don't do that!! Get the right boots and they'll last a long, long time!

Comment

13881-49021 seems right

Hi Mr. eghty6gt,

That is, indeed, very peculiar. My research shows that both Alpha-sports.com and FlatoutMotorcycles.com show 13881-49021 as the part number for the boots between the airbox and carbs. I realize this is no help at all, but I'm just verifying your dilemma. 8-[

I'll shut up so that we can hear from one of the 750 guys.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I don't know if this helps your situation but I use the same intake boots for my GS750s and GS1100E (the years are 1980 & 1981). The fit is a little tighter on the 1100E but it does fit and makes a exceptional seal (on both the carb and manifold side).

Comment

Wrong sizes

I just thought of an ongoing problem I've had with Suzuki that might relate to your own. Awhile back, I ordered 2 57215-49100 parts from Ron Ayers. They sent me 2 packs, both with that number written on it.

However, one was right and one was wrong. The one that was incorrect was really 57216-49100. It looks almost the same but they aren't interchangeable. I called Ron Ayers and they sent another one.....which was also marked incorrectly.

The problem had nothing to do with Ron Ayers because they just pass stuff along. Someone at Suzuki mislabeled the part....at least twice!

Comment

Working...
              X