Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signal generator wires??? How to test it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signal generator wires??? How to test it?

Hey, trying to figure out the wiring on the signal generator. All the wiring diagrams only show two wires coming off of them, but I know my generator has 4, one green coming from each side, than a blue to one side, and a green with yellow I believe coming from the other. There is also a wire that connects to the bottom of the assembly, not sure what it's a part of, maybe oil sensor or something. Also, I see in the manual that I'm suppose to check the resistance between the blue and green, but what blue and what green?

What model, what year?

Yep, signal generators I know have two wires. And there is one signal generator. Makes a pulse of one polarity to trigger 2 cyclinders, and makes another pulse of other polartity to trigger the other 2 cyclinders. Oh, wait, we talking about a 4 cyclinder? And yes, one test is to take an ohm reading.

But what you are describing doesnt sound like A signal generator. Wonder if non-stock something or other.

Maybe a picture might help.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

No, definately the signal generator, and it's an 82' gs650l. But you may be right, i think two of the green wires may just connect to the other, making only two going to the bike, but still curious as to whats connected right below it.

Comment

Did you get your answer about the 4 wires? I've got 3 GS850G and one of the has a 4 wire signal generator even though all the wiring diagrams say they should have 2.

The 2 wire test is to check ohms between the DkGreen and the blue. According to my Clymer manual it should be 290-360 ohms.

You have to go to the supplement for the 4 wire test. On the 850G is says check the blue and yellow then the green and black. On an 110G check the green and yellow then the blue and black. On the 850 you're looking for 140-180 ohms. On the 1100 140-200.

Someone else may have a better answer here for you, but I think the difference is the two wire SGs have a mechanical advance. The one with the 4 wire connector has electronic advance built into the igniter box.

Comment

Working...
        X