handlebars grooves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

handlebars grooves

My new handlebars don't have the grooves where the clamps hold them to the triple tree . The clamps won't keep them from moving up and down . Any tips on how to get them tight would be much appreciated.

Thanks Bubbarandi

just off the top of my head, you could stick some electricians tape round the bars, to fatten them a wee bit. But I'm surprised you can't get them tight enough, even without the wee ridge things.

Comment

My bars were completely smooth and they clamped down just fine.

Electrical tape would sure do it. Or cut some strips off of an aluminum can and use them like shims.

Comment

Originally posted by uudfourty View Post
        My bars were completely smooth and they clamped down just fine.

Electrical tape would sure do it. Or cut some strips off of an aluminum can and use them like shims.
        I'd go with the can. Electrical tape seems to deteriorate with age, and gets gummy on hot days. It might turn into lube.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

handlebar grooves

Thanks for the feedback. I cranked down on the bolts a little more and it seems to have worked,the bars are tight and don't slide up and down. If they start to move again i'll have to try tape or thin metal because these bolts must be close to strippng or breaking.

Thanks
          Bubbarandi

Comment

Originally posted by bubbarandi View Post
            Thanks for the feedback. I cranked down on the bolts a little more and it seems to have worked,the bars are tight and don't slide up and down. If they start to move again i'll have to try tape or thin metal because these bolts must be close to strippng or breaking.

Thanks
            Bubbarandi
            Maybe try a torque wrench so you KNOW when they are tight enough instead of guessing. There is a reason why the OEM goes to so much trouble to document all those torque figures in the manuals. USE THEM.

Mark

Comment

Yeah.
              Go with the aluminum shims.

Plus, it gives you a reason to go ahead and finish that beer. :-D

Comment

handlebars grooves

Mark

Stating the obvious does not make you smart just a smartass Canadian .If i owned a tourque wrench I would have looked up the specs and used it. Im not a gearhead just someone trying to keep a 200.00 bike running. I wonder if the manual has specs for handle bars without grooves? I suppose those would be different Aye !!!

Bubbarandi

Comment

Working...
                X