Snap ring pliers for carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap ring pliers for carbs

I am intalling a dynojet kit on my 83 GS 1100 ED. I am trying to pull the snap ring out of the slide to replace the needle but I can't find a pair of pliers that will reach it. I checked the parts store around the area and the don't have any. Does anyone know where I can buy a pair? Is there a trick I can use to get it out?

Originally posted by pinner View Post
    I am intalling a dynojet kit on my 83 GS 1100 ED. I am trying to pull the snap ring out of the slide to replace the needle but I can't find a pair of pliers that will reach it. I checked the parts store around the area and the don't have any. Does anyone know where I can buy a pair? Is there a trick I can use to get it out?
    I used very thin pointed needle nose. Get one tip in the hole on each side and squeeze together. It took some trying to figure it out, but once I got the trick not TOO bad.

Comment

Thank you. I know how snap rings work and I tried needle nose pliers and that didn't work. I will look for a pair with a smaller tip on them. Thanks again

Comment

thanks will look into them. They don't look long enough though.

Comment

Z1 has a set that will reach... 20 bucks. Personally I got a set of extra long needle nose pliers then filed the size or spigot & flat edge I needed into the bottom of each leg at the point.

The pliers were 7 bucks & work great.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have a set of these and they work fine for the CV type carbs.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
            81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
            83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
            06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
            AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I got a set of "petite" spring loaded needle nosed pliers from Sears for about $6. They have very long, very thin jaws. I used them to remove and install the snaprings while installing the Stage 1 kit on my 700, and they worked great.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

So do you actually need to replace the snap ring when you put it back together? I don't really see why it's there...

Comment

pinner, i had the same problem. I even scoured all the stores on central looking for long enough ones. I have a pair of the kind with the removal heads so i just put the head on the clip inside the slide and used a pair of Robogrip pliars to put enough pressure to freeze the clip.

Comment

Yes, "Sears has snap-ring pliers", but the pair pictured in the link won't work. :shock:

The clamps that hold the replaceable bits are far too fat to fit into the slide. The 5 1/2" needle-nose pliers will probably work much better.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you all. I picked up a pair of needle nose pliers for $1.00 at the dollar store and they work just fine. Well until I left them on the roof of my car and lost them within 5 miles. Oh well It was just a dollar. Time to pick up another pair.
                      Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                      X