What model of 1979 GS1000 is mine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What model of 1979 GS1000 is mine?

Hi all, first post here. Great site, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. I need to replace the stator in my gs1000 but the dealer insists that there is another model letter required to order the correct part - could be a gs1000 N, C, E, SN, EN, LN, H, S, L, G. My side cover just says gs1000, and the serial number on the frame is 106621, on the engine is 122252.

I bought the bike new in 79, no owners manual, is blue in colour and has no mods (except a rear rack and engine protectors). The wheels are spoked, not mags, single disk on front wheel, and on rear. Round master cylinder. Sorry I don't have a photo of it complete - it is taken apart right now.

Any help in further identifying this bike would be appreciated. And if anyone knows if the stators are the same for all these gs1000's that would be great to know. Also, would this bike be the 8-valve version?

Thanks! - GeeWiz

Answer: 1979 were N's so your is a GS1000N Blue

I am fairly certain there are no differences in Stators between the C, E, L or S models.
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

On the home page of this site there are some very useful tools for identifying your bike. Look in the model info section to learn how the codes work. There you will find that the N was Suzuki's code for model year 1979. The N would apply to all models built in that year. ie GS1000EN, GS1000LN, GS1000SN, etc. Most references just omit the N because it's redundant to the year.

You can also find some nice examples of all these models in the gallery section on the home page. You'll be able to see the difference between the L model which is a bit more sportier, the E model which was the basic bike, and the S model which was the Wes Cooley signature bike. Also there are examples of G model bikes. Remember, "G for Gears" (shaftie).

Having said all that, I believe from your description you have a 1979 GS1000EN. Additionally, you have the 8-valve engine. The 16 valve engine did not come out until 1980, but none of the GS1000 bikes had 'em. Only the GS750, and GS1100 had the 16 valver.

Two things regarding the stator. First, have you thoroughly troubleshot the fault? Again on the home page you can find the STATOR PAPERS. Look in the Garage. It will help diagnose electrical problems. I'm not meaning to insult your abilities. I just don't want to see you replace a major component and find out later you had a burned wire or something.

Second thing. All 1979 stators are the same, regardless of model. Suzuki part number 31401-49010 is what you need. Check your dealer's pricing. This item is available from Flatout for $161.09 plus shipping. www.flatoutmotorcycles.com

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted. Pics would be nice. We love pics.

Comment

I don't think it's an EN; the E model was dual front disc with mag wheels. His is like mine, a GS 1000N.
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
          I don't think it's an EN; the E model was dual front disc with mag wheels. His is like mine, a GS 1000N.
          Ahh, I missed that single rotor part. Then that makes it a GS1000CN.

Comment

photos of '79 GS1000N or CN?

Thanks guys for the guidance, it is much appreciated. Tom MLC, thanks for the tips. I did have a look at the year chart, and noted that all bikes for that year were N's. I am still not clear on if mine is a straight 1000N or 1000CN. Or if these are the same. Funny that one parts book indicates the models for that year were the E, H, S, L, and G. No mention of N or C. I wonder what the H model is?

Glad to hear the stators are all the same. I can get an "Electrex USA" brand stator for $130 locally - I don't know anything about their quality. The dealer wants $454 for an OEM.

I removed the stator because I had the problem diagnosed at the dealer before putting it into storage. They (supposedly) checked/tested the stator and told me it was bad - and told me that the hot oil bath eventually cooks many of these stators. Wow, were the screws on the chain sprocket cover (not the stator cover) ever hard to get off. Even an impact driver and a 3 lb hammer wouldn't budge them. Had to use heat, then the impact driver. Ruined 3 screw heads - had to cut slots in them after the phillips grooves were rounded! I was wondering if there was loctite on them, but I think they were just good and corroded.

I have attached a photo of the partially disassembled bike. I will have to learn how to attach more than one photo in a post, or if that is possible. Sorry I don't have one of the bike all together as it is really a nice looking bike. This puppy carried my down the West Coast highway from Canada to California, across the Nevada desert and through the mountains and didn't complain once. These photos don't do it justice. I will take a photo once it is back together and post it.

Anything else I should do to get it into roadworthy shape after sitting in a shed for 12 years? I am thinking the fork seals are likely shot, tires may need replacing even though they have lots of tread yet.

thanks again,
            GeeWiz

Comment

I think this is just a GS1000N, the "C" would make it a "78" model. The STANDARD bikes didn't have a letter, except the letter for the year, the upgrade models had the extra letter. There were no 16 valve GS1000's in "79", but in "82" the GS1000 S Katana had 16 valves.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

After further review...

I was thinking much about this on the way home, and figured out that I was wrong. As rphillips says, its a '79GS1000N. And I actually learned something, too. I didn't know they made the single front rotor model in '79. I thought it was only '78.

Surprised to hear the dealer charging so much for that part. My local Suzi shop charges out the ying yang too. But your guy is outrageous.

Comment

Working...
                X