Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ricks R/R seem small ?

Guys,

Help me to see reason here. I am looking for a R/R replacement as mine had turned my bike into one big RFI mess. I've searched, see that many are using late model gsxr, cbr and other r/r's that look nice and meaty; unlike Rick's.

I see several options:

Dunage for 40 and my understanding is it's off of an early 80's unit

Find my own off of Ebay which you no longer find cheap r/r's; most are 40-60 to my door but it's a newer model 00 and up

OEM is nuts at 167, but the original lasted 26 years and after three hours of reading, some guys will only go oem after having bad used r/r and no luck with the aftermarket.

Ricks is 70 something but seems puny, others have burnt them up or received duds

electrosport seems to have a less than favorable rep on here as well.

I see Z1 has one (Rick's) for 67 plus 7 to ship, but as I look at the unit, it seems rather small and inefficient as a heat sink. Am I just crazy in my thinking with it not being a long term device without having to hook a computer fan or relocate the item?

I ordered mine from electrosport last year, and have put 4000 miles on my bike since, and have been pleased so far. i bought stator and RR at same time, and i moved it up front you can see it to the left of the horn. ran some heavy gauge wire from the stator to the RR. also put a ground straight from the battery to the RR. So far no problems. starts great every day, and has been running like a champ!:-D

also it seams like a heavy duty RR compared to the stock one.

Comment

I'm using a late model CBR R/R on my 850. Seems to work great. Got it on ebay for $28 shipped but was not in a hurry to find one.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        I'm using a late model CBR R/R on my 850. Seems to work great. Got it on ebay for $28 shipped but was not in a hurry to find one.
        I watched a CBR and a GSXR sell for around 45 and some change not to mention the 15 dollar cost to ship the items.

I think people are starting to realize that these maybe realistic alternatives to buying super expensive ones.

The electrosport did look to be a bit beefier than Ricks, but DK shows a different picture than the electrosport site. I believe that the electrosport site would be more believable than DK.

Part Number: ESR090

DK

Ricks

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2008, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Kbecker3

I only saw that mod of moving the R/R forward just recently. This is a good modification to describe in the "How to Section" for the obvious heat transfer advantages. The question is how thick of wire do you really need. :-D If you dont mind:
          a.) What size wire did you use
          b.) Have you measured your voltage drops between R/R + and - and the respective terminals on the battery.
          c.) How are you grounded to the frame.

I like this much better than the computer fan cooling idea.

Posplayr

P.S. grounding and connections are probably more important that the specific regulator. For an "near" but improved OEM approach the Honda R/R will probably work as well despite the somewhat objectionable use of old electrical parts.

Posplayr
          Last edited by posplayr; 04-24-2008, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I've had an electrosport RR on my bike for about a year now and it's working great so far. I think the bigger issue to deal with is the wiring and more specifically all the aging connectors.

Comment

I have ordered several from eBay over the years, with moderate success. However, I just ordered one from Duaneage last night, hoping to keep the electrons flowing a bit better on my wife's 850.

One advantage of ordering from him is that they are tested and known to be good.
              Another advantage is that we know where to find him if there are any problems. :shock:

8-[
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"I only saw that mod of moving the R/R forward just recently. :grin: If you dont mind:
                a.) What size wire did you use"

I want to say i used 12 ga. it was the thickest one, if i remember correctly, on my wire strippers. i made a day out of it, used some decant electrical tape and taped all wires together, then i ran it through the mounts under the gas tank where the factory wiring was ran through.

b.) Have you measured your voltage drops between R/R + and - and the respective terminals on the battery.

nope, havn't measured any voltage numbers. but i dont have to throw it on a charger, and it has been starting still even on the mornings where it was 30 degrees outside.

c.) How are you grounded to the frame.

I left the factory ground alone (ground that i assume went to the frame), also i ran one of my 12 gauge wires along with the other RR wires up to the RR.. and i grounded the wire coming off the RR, then i also split that off to ground the case of the RR. through the mounting bolt.

all my connections were soldered, and i used heat shring tubing, no connectors except for the ground on the RR case.

will try to take some pictures of this tonight to show.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I have ordered several from eBay over the years, with moderate success. However, I just ordered one from Duaneage last night, hoping to keep the electrons flowing a bit better on my wife's 850.

One advantage of ordering from him is that they are tested and known to be good.
                  Another advantage is that we know where to find him if there are any problems. :shock:

8-[
                  Duneage seems to have a good rep on here and would trust products from him.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewclaycomb View Post
                    I've had an electrosport RR on my bike for about a year now and it's working great so far. I think the bigger issue to deal with is the wiring and more specifically all the aging connectors.
                    I soldered new connectors onto the bike's harness so either way it has new connectors.

Can anyone vouch if their electrosport unit looks like the on on the ES site or the DK site?

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                      I soldered new connectors onto the bike's harness so either way it has new connectors.

Can anyone vouch if their electrosport unit looks like the on on the ES site or the DK site?

i bought the electrosport one, it looks exactly like the Electrosport website. if you take a look at the picture i posted earlier, its not so good but you can tell that it is just like the one on the electrosport website.

Comment

I cheated and just bought and '00 GSXR600 R/R off ebay for 30$

When you look at em and see that big hunk of metal all you are looking at is the heat sink. I've ripped the lacquer out of HONDA and SUZUKI R/Rs and they use mostly the same components. (well all of the same electrical parts just from different manufacturers)... The main reason one will burn up over another is heat dissapation. I bet even using the stock R/R just moved to a better location and the grounding mod would last "forever".

Comment

"I've ripped the lacquer out of HONDA and SUZUKI R/Rs and they use mostly the same components. (well all of the same electrical parts just from different manufacturers)... The main reason one will burn up over another is heat dissapation. I bet even using the stock R/R just moved to a better location and the grounding mod would last "forever". "

i could see how that would be true, becuase the thing that usually causes the original suzuki RR's to go bad is not being able to get rid of the power through the ground. causeing a build up of heat. so i would see that if you got rid of the connectors (soldering wires w/ heat shirink) and moving it up to get some air how it would last "forever"

Comment

I've already changed out the connectors and have PM'd Duane; just waiting for a response. Man, it figures too, the wifey is leaving Saturday and was scheduled to go riding with my buddy.

Plenty of people seem to be happy with his set up and with him already testing the device, there's less chance of getting scamed on ebay.

For the record, if any of you can not get a sound reading with a better meter from your bike, and it wigs out by the stator cover and any wires, check the r/r!

I'm itching to ride!!!

Comment

r/r question

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Hi Mr. Nessism,

I tossed $10 at a similar part on ebay and won it. It has 3 yellow wires, 2 green (ground) and 2 red (hot) wires. Maybe this came from a bike with 2 stators. Is it possible to use this part on my 850? How would I wire it up? Forget one red and one green? Ground both greens and wire both reds to hot? Inquiring minds want to know. :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X