Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump for a r/r question...

I know Dunneage is a source.
    I have also seen several late model GSXR and Honda r/r units going for $30 on ebay. As long as it has the 3 yellow wires (plus the 4th to plug into a hot for it to monitor voltage on later units) and the one red wire, then theoretically it will work correct? There are people running 90's and even later GSXR r/r units on their GS bikes right?

Comment

I installed a late model CBR R/R on my 850. The R/R has the standard three yellow wires feeding in along with two red and two green (ground) wires.

Hooked it up with one red direct to the battery, with fuse in line, and the other feeding the harness though the stock plug. Did it this way because if you look at the wiring diagram, the harness needs this feed. For grounds, hooked one up direct to the battery and the other to the frame/engine. Figure I've got everything covered with this set up. So far, so good. System even seems to charge at idle which is nice. And it bolts in place under the airbox just like the stocker...only it's way bigger.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        I installed a late model CBR R/R on my 850. The R/R has the standard three yellow wires feeding in along with two red and two green (ground) wires.

Hooked it up with one red direct to the battery, with fuse in line, and the other feeding the harness though the stock plug. Did it this way because if you look at the wiring diagram, the harness needs this feed. For grounds, hooked one up direct to the battery and the other to the frame/engine. Figure I've got everything covered with this set up. So far, so good. System even seems to charge at idle which is nice. And it bolts in place under the airbox just like the stocker...only it's way bigger.
        Thank you sir. My R/R test good, but when looking at my dead stator the connections were melted at the R/R plug in as well. I can't believe I didn't address this, just SO much to do (and still have a day now and then to ride it). So I'm going to replace the R/R and run a ground to the battery as you did. Mine didn't have ANY ground other than the bolts into the battery box which is bolted to the frame, so a once removed frame ground via the R/R case. I think that's the stock config on older models. I'll look for a late model CBR or GSXR on fleabay tomorrow. I've seen the "Buy it Now" for 35$.

Comment

Cooking with electrons

Hi,

Here's a "stock" r/r on the left and a "Mr. duaneage special" on the right.

As you can see, more surface area = better heat dissipation.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Also, per Duaneage,

The bigger Honda is rated to 450 watts and the factory unit is good for 280.

I'm not sure what the newer units are good for (watt wise) and perhaps will pick one up over time as a spare, but as of right now I've been waiting for mine to arrive from Duaneage.

Comment

With all due respect to Daune, I can't understand why people would opt for a part approcahing 30 years old when you can get a CBR R/R unit for about the same money just about any day of the week off Ebay. I'm using one off something like an '04 CBR1000RR and it works fine. Only 5 wires just like the GS unit. I even added a computer case fan to keep air moving across the heatsink.

Comment

Got a bid in on an 04 CBR 1000 unit right now. It looks like it has the mythical 6th wire. That can go to any hot wire right, a tail light for example. It just uses it to measure the voltage in the system.

Comment

Working...
                X