New brake pads dragging...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New brake pads dragging...

I just put new pads on the front of the 750....first time I've done it on this bike. I realize the pad should drag a little but how much is too much? I can spin the wheel but it only goes about 1 revolution. Is there something I should do? The fluid level is just right.

Or, should I take a nice long ride and check it after 50 or 60 miles? By the way, when I squeeze the lever, it barely depresses (which is about the way it was with the old pads and the brakes worked really well.) Thanks, guys!!:-D
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 04-24-2008, 03:41 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Brake Pads

Have You Bleed Or Flushed The Brakes ? Did You Have To Push The Pistons In To Acheive A Fit With The New Pads ? I Would Flush The Complete Brake System Front And Rear And Replace With New Brake Fluid. As Far As Dragging Goes You Should Be Able To Spin The Tire Pretty Easily. This May Or May Not Happen After You Drive The Bike For A Few Miles.

Comment

A square cut seal is what is responsible for moving the piston back in after brake application.

Read page 8 \\/

A good bleading of the system can sometimes help. Sometimes the hose can cause hangups as well as the master.

Comment

Thanks

I changed the brake fluid recently and see no reason to do it again because the fluid is almost new and there are as few air bubbles as there will ever be. Naturally, I needed to push in the pistons or I never would have gotten the new pads around the rotors. As the above article states, disc brakes are self-adjusting. It's a sunny day and I'm going for a spin!!:-D
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I was getting maybe 3/4 of a turn on my front wheel. I loosened one side of the triple clamp pinchbolts, the axle, and the lower fork nuts, bounced it around, tightened it up again and I get at least 3 turns now. Something to try. Are the pins smooth and clean?

Comment

Looks good

Originally posted by p_s View Post
            I was getting maybe 3/4 of a turn on my front wheel. I loosened one side of the triple clamp pinchbolts, the axle, and the lower fork nuts, bounced it around, tightened it up again and I get at least 3 turns now. Something to try. Are the pins smooth and clean?
            Yeah, I can understand how things "settle" a little differently after removing the front wheel. To the best of my knowledge, that's why brake pads need to be broken in (I think).I've never had a bike with disc brakes where there was zero drag.
            Everything is nice and tight and seems to be in place so I'll take a ride and try it again.:-D

Comment

Cool!

Self-adjusting disc brakes are awesome! After 45 semi-hard braking miles later, my brakes are perfect and brake drag is just as it should be.\\/

Comment

Working...
              X