Valve adjustment: need new gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment: need new gasket?

I thought I'd go ahead and check my valve clearances and adjust them if necessary. The Clymer manual doesn't say anything about a new gasket for the valve cover, but the guide on BikeCliff's website says to get a new one. This is something I want to do today, but I'll wait a few days for a gasket if I need to.

So, do I need one or not?

More than likely, you need a new gasket. If it's been on there since '81, you probably have about an hour's worth of scraping to get it off. It's amazing how easy it is to gouge the sealing face of the head. A lot of people around here like using the silicone gasket from realgaskets. With those you have to be very careful not to over torque, but they are definitely reusable. They cost more, and some people report that the cover screws sometimes loosen. Somewhere on here, I read a recommendation to grease the top and bottom of a new paper gasket, and you will be able to reuse it next time you get into the cover. This is what I did this spring. I'll let you know how it works in a year or two. I went this way because it's a little cheaper, and I have no concern about the screws loosening.

Oh yes, you may need to replace the plastic half-moons at each end of the cams. I thin layer of Permatex or similar is recommended to make sure these seal. Mine are a little rough on top, but holding very well these last 60 miles.
    Last edited by Dogma; 04-24-2008, 03:06 PM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I replaced the gasket when I did mine. I think I could have used the old one again but a little bit of paper stuck to the half moons and it made me nervous. The rest of the gasket stuck to the valve cover but I was able to get it off easy enough.

I sprayed both sides of the new gasket with WD-40 before installation. No leaks yet I won't really be able to answer your question until after my next valve adjustment.

I have a 77 GS750 and I don't think realgaskets were an option for me. At least I couldn't find my bike listed on their site and they did not answer my email asking if they had one to fit it. The paper gaskets are pretty cheap. I'll probably order another one before my next valve clearance check just in case.
      Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
      Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Tach gear

If this is the first time you've ever done it, there's something you need to be really careful of. When you put the cover back on, make CERTAIN it's seated and sitting perfectly flat all the way around. It it isn't, check the tach gear as it may not be in the inner grooves. If the cover goes all the way down on one side but pops up, ever so slightly, on the other side, that's most likely the issue.

You can fix it by turning the gear drive slightly and it will fall into place. This is especially important because if you tighten down with it out of place, it will break your cover. (I've never done it but it would be easy to do.) Good luck...everything should go fine.

By the way, some instructions say to remove the breather cover....it's not necessary on your bike.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

i have a few pics so you can expect what to see. i have basicly the same bike '81 gs750L . i just got done doing the valves, valve seals, head gasket, base gasket, new rings, cleaned sump and oil pan, tires, sprockets / chain... all sorts of fun stuff just here in feb / march i took a few pics, but not really showing me doing anything, should have took some of me actually doing everything... my valve cover gasket was stuck to the valve cover when i pulled it off, and was leaking slightly so scraped off and got new one anyway.

anyway.. heres the pics.

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...981%20GS-750L/

Comment

Originally posted by Kbecker3 View Post
            i have a few pics so you can expect what to see. i have basicly the same bike '81 gs750L . i just got done doing the valves, valve seals, head gasket, base gasket, new rings, cleaned sump and oil pan, tires, sprockets / chain... all sorts of fun stuff just here in feb / march i took a few pics, but not really showing me doing anything, should have took some of me actually doing everything... my valve cover gasket was stuck to the valve cover when i pulled it off, and was leaking slightly so scraped off and got new one anyway.

anyway.. heres the pics.

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...981%20GS-750L/
            Nice. Did you pull the engine out of the frame for that?

I think I'll start with small stuff like valve clearances before I tear down the whole bike. Looks like I'm going to be placing an order for parts tonight. \\/ Is there anything besides the gasket and half-moon things I need to buy?

Slightly off-topic: If I'm replacing fork seals, do I need anything beyond fork oil and the seals?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              Oh yes, you may need to replace the plastic half-moons at each end of the cams.
              If they feel like plastic, it's long past time to replace them.

They are actually made of rubber. :shock:

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How often?

Somewhere on here, I read a recommendation to grease the top and bottom of a new paper gasket, and you will be able to reuse it next time you get into the cover. This is what I did this spring. I'll let you know how it works in a year or two. I went this way because it's a little cheaper, and I have no concern about the screws loosening.
                Hi Mr. Dogma,

My Suzuki Shop Manual says to check the valve clearances on my 850 every 4000 miles. That means at least twice a year for me. I know a lot of riders let it go longer, but I like to keep an eye on things. :shock:

Last time, I had to leave one of my clearances at .04mm so I will be checking them again after 4000 miles.

And I love my Real Gaskets!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  If they feel like plastic, it's long past time to replace them.

They are actually made of rubber. :shock:

Huh. Coulda sworn they were plastic. Still sealing...

OK, ran out to the garage where I have a new one. Why do I have one new part? Well, I accidentally ordered one of these and four oil filter seals. So anyway, the new one is definitely hollow-in-the-back, injection molded plastic. Perhaps Suzuki superseded the rubber ones?
                  Dogma
                  --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Hi Mr. Dogma,

My Suzuki Shop Manual says to check the valve clearances on my 850 every 4000 miles. That means at least twice a year for me. I know a lot of riders let it go longer, but I like to keep an eye on things. :shock:
                    Good point. I've done about 3k per annum over the last couple years. I'm thinking about adding a windshield this fall so I can go later in the year. I also want to get some long rides in, so that might jack my mileage too. So that works out to every year or two.

Now that I think about it though, taking care of this is so easy there's no reason not to do it as soon as I pass 4k... If only I didn't have to take off the breather and horns...
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Somewhere on here, I read a recommendation to grease the top and bottom of a new paper gasket, and you will be able to reuse it next time you get into the cover.
                      Anti-seize is the answer.

White slimy crap. We put it on compressed graphite steam hot water generator gaskets.

Also good for pranking buddies. Smear a little on the underside of a car door handle. It'll be everywhere before they realize what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by bleeble View Post
                        Nice. Did you pull the engine out of the frame for that?

I think I'll start with small stuff like valve clearances before I tear down the whole bike. Looks like I'm going to be placing an order for parts tonight. \\/ Is there anything besides the gasket and half-moon things I need to buy?

Slightly off-topic: If I'm replacing fork seals, do I need anything beyond fork oil and the seals?
                        took half the motor out... left the bottom half in...

reguarding the gasket and half moon things...and anything else you need to buy, my clymer manual says to discard item 6 (bike bandit diagram) and replace it. It is just a washer with a rubber seal molded in it. there are 4 of them

Comment

Well I placed the orders for my parts late last night. I'm just disappointed BikeBandit wanted to charge me $26 for the valve cover gasket and won't ship via Priority Mail for a reasonable price... CA to MI = loooong 5 days waiting for UPS (and they didn't even ship today ). Too bad Z1 Enterprises didn't have everything I wanted; that order should be here on Monday. Now I get to wait a week to check the valves because I tried to save a few bucks by ordering those half-moon things from BikeBandit. *sigh*

What do you guys usually use to scrape the old gaskets off? I'd prefer not to damage anything and don't want to pay out the nose for a "special tool."

Comment

ohhh...why did you order the gasket from BikeBandit? Didnt Z1 have it? They are faster shipping, and have many shipping options, and i am pretty darn sure it would have been cheaper than 26 bucks.

Ok edit...i see you say they didnt have it. Did you call them? One of the downfalls of thier site is that things are sometimes not listed for a specific bike, even if that item will work for numerous models. For example: the Valve gasket for my 77 750 is not listed by them. Its listed as an 850 gasket. But they DO have it. Next time, try callin them. They are more than friendly and very knowlegable and helpful.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2008, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              ohhh...why did you order the gasket from BikeBandit? Didnt Z1 have it? They are faster shipping, and have many shipping options, and i am pretty darn sure it would have been cheaper than 26 bucks.

Ok edit...i see you say they didnt have it. Did you call them? One of the downfalls of thier site is that things are sometimes not listed for a specific bike, even if that item will work for numerous models. For example: the Valve gasket for my 77 750 is not listed by them. Its listed as an 850 gasket. But they DO have it. Next time, try callin them. They are more than friendly and very knowlegable and helpful.
                              Actually, I did order it from Z1. $7 But Z1 didn't have some other stuff I wanted, like the left engine cover gasket and a decent feeler gauge set. There were a couple things that Z1 did have that were cheaper at BB as well. That's what happens when you try to save a few bucks. I guess I'll just go flush my brake fluid. That should keep me busy for about... 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X