Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil question AGAIN!

1980 GS550

Couple of questions about oil changes...

OK, in the repair manual, it show 4 nuts in the area where you take the cover off for the filter. My bike only has 3. Is the 4th one for shaft bikes? or is this a bad pic?

Do I have to use speacial motorcycle oil from a motorcycle shop or can I goto walmart and pickip some castrol GTX made for cars? The stuff at the shop is pretty exspensive. Im using 10w-30, is this good for the summer months? Should I move to thick oil for the summer and go back to thinner in the winter?

It appears that I may be burning some oil. I did a oil change, and checked the level with the bike on the center stand and level. I had it up to the full mark. I put about a 1000 miles (hard riding, allot of mountains and high speeds, as well as high revs) on the bike and it appears to be more towrds the low mark now. Does the temp of the motor effect this? Maybe I just didnt give enough time for the oil to flow out of the top end.

Last one. Should the oil be filled up to the full mark wehn the bike/engine is cold and off?

Book usually recomends 10/40 oil Castrol GTX 10/40 would be Ok Just don't use any type of energy saving oil. Only three bolts on the oil filter cover fill with oil, run for few minutes, let it stand for few minutes refill as necessary. if it was down to the low mark after 1000 miles that would indicate using oil? Does it have any leaks? NOT enough to worry about Just remember to check the oil regularly

Comment

My 400 has 3 bolts for the oil filter cover and my 1100 has more. It doesn't really matter much.
      Steve

Comment

Wal-Mart should have Castrol 20w-50 oil for motorcycles. it is located above the oil filters, not with the rest of the oil products. if unavailable at your Wally-world, regular castrol 20w-50 (in Warmer Climates) should suffice fine for your needs. :twisted:

Comment

Amsoil

Use something that does not say 'Energy Conserving'

OR something that does say one of these: No Friction Modifiers, Wet Clutch Compatable or For Motorcycles

Comment

Check your oil consumption by seeing how much it takes to top it up after a long ride. You can easily live with a top-up each 1000 miles. Remember that with worn rings and valve guide seals it will use more oil with wide open throttle.

The oil is filled with engine off, hot or cold won't make much difference. Open the filler with the engine running and you will be surprised by the awful noises coming from the clutch housing. And with the oil pumping around the engine you probably won't even see any oil in the sight glass.

My GS1000 recently got down to 500 ml of oil for 150 kms easy riding. So it's sitting out the back having new rings and valve guide seals put in. Should be on the road again tomorrow, and oil consumption back to normal.

Kim

Comment

Working...
            X