SH232-12 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SH232-12 question

I went down to the local motorcycle retirement home to pick up a couple shindengen SH232-12's and noticed that after the -12 there is another number. what does this number indicate? the two I picked up have 9.1 on one and 9.5 on the other.

in the pile there were numbers from the low 7's up to 12 and what got my attention is that despite all of them being marked SH232-12 not all of them were the same shape or size.

My guess would be a manufacturing date code. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Perhaps it's a revision number? I've noticed a lot of computer hardware does this, but the functional parameters stay the same. Minor fixes, or better manufacturability, things like that. Just another guess.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Nope, date code.

Trust me on that, I've seen more than anyone.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
          Nope, date code.

Trust me on that, I've seen more than anyone.
          thats what I thought but the variation in size confused me.

Comment

Leon,

I was assuming that you were asking about R/Rs, but I didnt really know. Now that Dueanage says he has seen a few, I take that as confirmation that you are talking about R/Rs.

So that "shindengen SH232-12" is what we should look for if looking at a pile of them at a salvage yard ?
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

There are two primary types, the SH 232 and the SH 532. Both work equally well, there were some variations in the wiring order than comes out of the side, all have the same spacing as a suzuki and do not use a field coil, making them easy to adapt to our bikes.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
              X