ANOTHER broken speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANOTHER broken speedo cable

Any ideas on why in the world I would have broken my second speedo cable?
    I just bought this cable from BikeBandit, installed it in my 81 750L and didn't even get 100 miles on it before it broke.
    Would it be the speedo itself or the gear on the wheel?
    The gear seemed to spin freely and it had grease, so it seems it should be ok.
    Thanks for any help.

Got a pic of how your speedo gear is mounted? And did you use the same casing or a new one? Perhaps there is something in there causing it do break. Or perhaps your gear is frozen up. I may have one laying around here that could be available to you if you find that it needs it.

Comment

Hey Kid,
      Thanks for the offer, I will have to get a pic of it posted up.
      I just replaced it at the same as I had my new tires put on my rims.
      Hoping it is just a simple fix.
      I used the same housing and all when I put it back on, so maybe there was/is something in there that caused it to jam up.
      Could the speedo itself lock up causing the cable to break?

Comment

I suppose its possible, but i would doubt it. I do believe its just a spring drive in there, so i dont think that would be the case. I could be wrong tho. Likely, if anything, its the drive gear itself. You do have the gear set up so there is no funky turn or bind in the cable correct? Not thinking that you are dumb by any means, but sometimes, in the heat of putting things back together, simple things are overlooked. I know IVE done something silly a billion times.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will be checking it out to see whats up with it and post up what I find out.

Comment

Their should be an arrow on the speedo drive, point str8 up so the cable does not bind. Was it an OEM cable ? I had a tack cable only last 1 years, chocked it up to poor assembly at parts factory - bad crimp

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              Their should be an arrow on the speedo drive, point str8 up so the cable does not bind. Was it an OEM cable ? I had a tack cable only last 1 years, chocked it up to poor assembly at parts factory - bad crimp
              Dont think it was oem but I am sure it was not in a bind. I will check on the directional arrow.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                I know IVE done something silly a billion times.
                You would think that after a million or so, he would have caught on.

8-[
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I would think that if there was a problem with the gear (by "gear" I assume you mean the drive on the front wheel) that it would just not drive the cable, and not put any load-torque-twist on the cable.

However, it there was aproblem in the speedo, THAT would put a load-torque-twist on the cable. I would say, when putting on the cable, as a test, put it on the speedo first, then down at the other end try turning the cable with a screw driver, should turn so real easy. Or another test would be to use a wooden match stick if you have one, the biger ones are just the right size, should be able to twist real easy (or drive it with varialbe speed drill), but be carfull dont want to break it off in there.
                  But I dont think that is your speedo is the problem either. THe speedo would problably make lots of noise and/or not work if that was a problem.

So.... Let me aslo ask this:
                  When you install the speedo cable, what do you do so that you know the cable properly engages the gear drive? The tab of the cable fitting into the slot in the gear drive?

What I suggest is this:
                  When installing the cable, install it first on the gear/wheel, this way: Start to put the cable onto ths drive, and then while turning the other end of the cable cable you can feel when it engages. Then tighten up the cable further onto the drive. Then when putting the cable into the speedo can turn the wheel while sticking the cable into the speedo.

Last edited by Redman; 04-26-2008, 10:25 AM.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I broke a new one on my '79 'S.When I put it on I left off that wire guide at the bottom of the fork leg.The drive hub turned,kinked the outer,broke the inner.Cheers,Simon.
                    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Working...
                    X