Electric fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric fuel pump

I've heard about fuel starvation and read about it here. While I'm in the tinker mode, would installing an electric fuel pump be worth the effort? Has anyone done this before? Mostly caused by in-line filters, I like the idea of an extra filter, but... Suggestions or ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

Andy
    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
    1984 GS1100GK
    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

My replacement vacuum petcock seems to be flowing well enough. (I didn't have time for a thorough test last night. This afternoon should be fun...) Also, these engines are known to go 100,000 miles, so it seems the extra filter isn't necessary, unless your tank needs attention. I guess in that case, the tank needs attention. I can't think of a reason to do it to carbs, other than for the tinker factor.

But I do think a lot about a fuel injection conversion, so adapting a high-pressure pump would be necessary at some point.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

An in-line filter is fine as long as you use the proper kind - the ones with a brass stone inside. Lawn mower stores often carry them. What you don't want is a paper filter intended for automotive use since there can be a pressure loss using one.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Keep in mind that the floats on these carbs are meant to hold back the pressure of just a few inches worth of gravity-induced pressure. Most fuel pumps would tend to overpower them without even breathing hard. Personally, I think it would take about the less time and far less effort to get your system running correctly than it would to cobble together an electric pump into the system.

I am with the others...if you insist on using an extra filter, use one designed for a gravity-fed system.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pretty much what I expected. More effort than what it's worth. Just thinking outloud more or less. Will most likely stick to stock. I think I would like to dress up the fuel line by replacing it with braided SS. Any sources known? Would the teflon cored line used for brakes work? If so what size would the fuel line be?

andy
          1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
          1984 GS1100GK
          1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
          1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
          1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Z1 has clear fuel line. I use it. Love the sight of the gas pulsing through it.

Comment

Working...
            X