Those pesky driven splines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those pesky driven splines.

I posted a thread a few months ago re: my 83 GS 850 GL (D) which died on the road; seemingly a result of tranny or clutch. Well, thanks to the GSR pages and lots of research, I took off the rear wheel and hub and looked at the splines on the driven gear. If I had not read on the Forum pages about pulling the gear from the hub, I would have thought the splines were OK. But in reality the final drive gear splines were worn down and the driven gear splines were shaved off to the point that there was only 1/16th " left on each spline. This caused the rear wheel to NOT be driven even though the shaft was turning. Why am I posting this?To tell all other shaftie owners to ALWAYS check the splines anytime the wheel is off. ALWAYS take the driven gear out of the hub and look at the back side. NEVER ask a mechanic at a Honda/Suzuki/Polaris/ect dealer questions you don't want to pay $$ to have answered--incorrectly.

GS 850 Help!!

Hello- I just found an 1980 gs850 shaft drive and the engine starts and runs great the clutch cable is nice and strong I hear no clunking or strange noises and I can shift through all 5 gears but there she sit the rear wheel is not moving however I can put it on the center stand and freely spin the wheel. I give up and the shops won't help!. I hope it's a simple fix but

Comment

I just spent 1/2 a day removing the rear wheel and re-greasing splines in the hopes of avoiding this very thing.I hope it pays off!

Comment

Originally posted by stevensonmotors View Post
        Hello- I just found an 1980 gs850 shaft drive and the engine starts and runs great the clutch cable is nice and strong I hear no clunking or strange noises and I can shift through all 5 gears but there she sit the rear wheel is not moving however I can put it on the center stand and freely spin the wheel. I give up and the shops won't help!. I hope it's a simple fix but
        did you not read the very first post? its your drive splines. take the rear wheel off and check them

Comment

Originally posted by stevensonmotors View Post
          You certainly want to check your hub splines because that is the easiest thing to do and most likely is the problem. I am a little confused because you said yours was a 1980 model. The soft splines didn't appear on the G models until 1982, My 1980 G model has 130,000+ miles on the original splines and still going strong. The '82+ models typically strip out around 30-35,000. Possibly someone along the line swapped in a later year back wheel on your bike.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

happy camper here

i checked mine just y'day and happy to report that they apear as new after 100k kms :grin:
            thanks for reminding everybody though
            GS850GT

Comment

There is a pictorial about repairing the 'other end' of the shaft (which often breaks) on BassCliff's website - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ - the pics are of the repair on my GS1100GK. It's on the right of the page towards the bottom.

This is the direct link for it - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/storagecliff/images/bevel_gear_shaft_repair_zooks.pdf

Comment

Well the build date is taged 12/79 so I thought it was a 80 It shows 23k on the speedo Do you yhink it's a
                Thank you

Comment

12/79 most likley is a 80 model Its still posible for it to be bad. IT is the easiest thing to check

Comment

Working...
                  X