Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Busted throttle grip now sticking throttle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busted throttle grip now sticking throttle!

Whats up guys. A couple days ago I was riding my bike and I tug back on the throttle and SNAP, the throttle handle breaks off of the actual housing where the cables are attached. Luckily I am resourceful and got the bike home using vice grips(yea..) but I ordered a new grip and it finally came yesterday.

So I installed the new grip and now I have a new problem. I have played with the cable adjustment, I have played with the cable paths, I lubed the plastic where it runs inside the black housing on the handle bar and I also lubed the grip where it slides onto the handlebar...my throttle keeps sticking. It will almost return but it is sticking at around 2-3k rpms then I have to tug on it to make it idle. Now I am so puzzled because I never had this problem before I broke the throttle grip. I searched around and I see a lot of people saying to lube the cable but I dont think thats my problem obviously because it occured out of nowhere. Do you guys suggest simply replacing the cable or is there something else I could have busted? My grandpap keeps telling me "just turn the handle back manually" I asked him if he sticks his foot underneath his gas pedal to raise it back up after he pushes it down lol... thanks in advance.

My throttle was sticking the other day turned out the cable was getting pinched were it goes under the tank. Did you try taking the grip back off and on again? good luck

Comment

Most likely your bike has two throttle cables. One is a pull to close and the other is a pull to open. When you adjusted the slack in your throttle cables, (which you must do anytime you install a new twist grip/throttle assembly), if you adjusted either cable too tight, the throttle will stick. Adjust both cables so that there is about 1/16"+ slack in each cable, and your problem should go away. :-)

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yea I checked the cable paths a million times and I adjusted the freakin slack til I couldnt adjust anymore. I made them loose, looser, stupid loose, tight, played with one then the other back and forth.. its making me nuts. I just don't understand why the cable would go bad all the sudden. I am thinking that maybe somehow I stretched it out to the point that there is too much slack and its binding within the black cover/wrap around it? I dont know but I just dropped over $200 into her between tires brakes and a new grip and I really dont want to buy another cable if I dont have to. I should have noted that yes it is a 2 cable system and it seems like its the return cable. Thanks again guys..

Comment

One thing to check before you get a new cable...
          Check to see that the ends of the cables (where they attach to the throttle sleeve) are turned the same way they were in the old sleeve. Because they are always pulling at an angle, they will take a "set". If you turned them around in the new sleeve, the inner cable will be offset a bit, possibly binding just a bit.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X