80 850gl carrbs HELP!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 850gl carrbs HELP!!!!!!!!

I am a noob this is my first bike and so the first bike carbs I have rebuilt, mand I am confused! I got the rebuild done and she ran but was pouring fuel, figured out the float needles were upside down, fixed that and now the bike is only getting fuel to inside two carbs she has 23,400 miles and I am third owner. Please HELP ME!!! Thanks in advance.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I haven't had my own carbs apart, but: I have read that there is a filter screen at the inlet to each carb. That should be the only thing that would prevent 1 and 4 from filling (beside severely incorrect float height). Strange that it happened to two carbs at once, and they happen to be the farthest from the main inlet T.

Could it be that your petcock is not holding vacuum on prime, and the fuel has stopped flowing? I had inconsistent flow into my carbs until I replaced my petcock. You can check into this by disconnecting the vacuum line from #2 carb and sucking on it. You should hear and feel the petcock open when you first suck on it. If on prime, you shouldn't be able to get this again for quite a while, because a properly functioning prime will stay open after the first application of vacuum. With mine on the side stand, and the petcock in the run position, I had to suck on the vacuum line for about 30 seconds before fuel started coming out of the #1 carb's open drain hole. Anyhow, that's one theory. You bike is the same as mine, and probably also needs the new petcock anyway. Does it starve for fuel at highway speed, or haven't you been there yet?
    Last edited by Dogma; 04-28-2008, 08:28 AM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The filter screen is attached to the seat; you would have to physically remove the needle and seat in order to get to the little round screens.

I've rebuilt a few sets; the pictoral guide on here was very helpful aiding me on my first set and should be reviewed by any first-timer looking to get a better understanding of their carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike1980 View Post
        I am a noob this is my first bike and so the first bike carbs I have rebuilt, mand I am confused! I got the rebuild done and she ran but was pouring fuel, figured out the float needles were upside down, fixed that and now the bike is only getting fuel to inside two carbs she has 23,400 miles and I am third owner. Please HELP ME!!! Thanks in advance.
        Yeah...start with the petcock and make sure it's getting fuel. Then you can remove the nut from the bottom of the carb bowl and make sure that fuel is flowing into the bowl. If it's getting to the bowl it will drain out the bottom.

If not then I'd question the float needles, since you just put them in. Make sure the are loose, clean, and move freely. While there, remove and check the seat and screens that the float needles slide up into.

If that's not it, then you could have something misconnected between the carbs. You didn't take the four of them off the rack did you? Fuel flows from the center outwards through connecting tubes, not to be confused with the vent tubes.

After that there's no science involved; it's all just magic. You have to say the right words over them with a magic wand. (well, there may be a little more science, but this will get you started)

Comment

well the new seats did not have the screens when I put them in, I did not take the carbs off the rack, so that should not be it, what is really weird is that it ran when I (stupid) put the needles in the seat upside down but she poured fuel since it did not cut off, but after the needles were put in right it has not ran since, so Im not sure I got a Clymers in the mail as of today and Im sure it will help. But I am thinking it might be the petcock. I have the pictoral guide from here and I used it so I know that everything in the carbs is right now.The petcock does not seem to flow much fuel with the vaccum on and the fuel line off, but what do I know?

Comment

Suzuki Shop Manual

Hey Mr. bigmike1980,

Did you download a manual for your bike from my website? It might help too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You say since you refitted the float needles the right way up that you are not getting fuel to the two outside carbs. That is because the petcock ios not flowing enough fuel to get to them. The two inside carbs are filling up first and not leaving enough to supply the two outside carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike1980 View Post
                The petcock does not seem to flow much fuel with the vaccum on and the fuel line off, but what do I know?
                when you apply the vacuum on the vacuum port/tube (with the fuel tap set to "on" or "res"), the fuel should flow at the same rate it flows when the tap is on "prime"
                GS850GT

Comment

well figured out that it is the petcock not flowing enough fuel to feed all four carbs is it better to rebuild or do you recommend just replace?

Comment

Replace it with a new one. Yours should be identical to mine, little screwdriver slot with a run and prime position. Trying to rebuild it is an excercise in futility.:-D

Comment

well I pulled the petcock and took it apart cleaned and reassembled it is flowing much more fuel and it still is having a similar problem not getting much fuel to outside carbs now and my manual tells me nothing of this problem!

Comment

i would remove the carbs' bowls of the two outer carbs - and set the fuel tap on prime to test weather the fuel is getting to the outer carbs
                        that should tell you if theres any physical blockage in the tubes
                        GS850GT

Comment

Well I turned the engine over for a minute to fill the bowls, then I checked the outer bowls, opened drain and am only getting a little bit of fuel there but inner bowls are filling up.

Comment

you want to have the fuel tap on prime so to bypass any need for vacuum (as thats one of the places where you might have a problem)

you want a continuous free flow from the fuel tap to be able to observe the flow from the carbs - keep the inner bowls on so the floats can shut those two off - thay way you are going to be able to see the actual fuel flow to the two outer carbs and therefore eliminate (or confirm) the presence of any obstruction in the fuel passages

no need to be cranking the engine for a whole minute
                            GS850GT

Comment

Are your float bowl vent lines clear? This would not allow the bowls to fill properly.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X