78 GS750E Sprockets, chains, and questions oh my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750E Sprockets, chains, and questions oh my

Alright, so I'm looking at the different sprocket options and chains. I also looked at z1enterprises conversion list. But it doesn't say if I will need a spacer.

Here's my question, if I do the conversion do I need a spacer? and if so which one on their site?

and if I don't do the conversion what are the stock sprocket sizes and number of chain links on a 1978 GS750E?

Thanks

give them a call and they will get you straightened out...

they are extremely knowledgeable and can definatly get you worked out right

i just ordered a 530 chain and conversion sprockets from them and they knew exactly what I needed....

Comment

I did a 530 conversion on my '78 GS750. No spacer needed. I went with JT sprockets (http://www.jtsprockets.com/)

Front - JTF-513.16
      Rear - JTR - 816.44

I believe those got me as close as possible to the standard gearing. I've put 12,000 mi on it since with no problems.

Comment

how many links are in your chain?

I used the conversion chart on the info page on z1's site and used bike bandit to figure out how many teeth were stock. I went with a 49 tooth rear and an 18 tooth front. I went ahead and ordered the spacers just in case I need them anyway. (maybe that's why this bike has become a money pit???) I also got the x ring chain they sell along with both types of masterlinks just in case I can't find somebody with a rivet tool.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2008, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Stock sprocket size is Front:15 tooth Rear:41 tooth 630x96 chain.

I am about to do a conversion on the cafe, from what ive been told i WILL need a spacer. My chain length wont help you because i have a longer than stock swingarm. But i can give you my sprocket sizes if youd like.

TCK

Comment

You just answered my question without knowing it. According to the Z1 site you divide the number of stock links by 5 and multiply by 6 which takes a 630 chain at 96 links to a 530 chain at 115.2 links. And the X ring chain I ordered is 116 links long so everything should be good. I'll update whether or not I need any of the spacers I ordered or not.

Just to clarify everything. I ordered an 18 tooth front sprocket, 49 tooth rear sprocket, 116 link x ring chain, and a couple of both spacers just in case I might need them. All from this page on Z1enterprises section for the 1978 GS750EC. http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog...750EC-1978-MP1

Hopefully my last wheel bearing will go in and this project will come to a close for at least a couple of months. [-o<

Comment

so a 630 chain with 96 links will fit my 77 750

Comment

Working...
              X