Valve clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve clearance

I checked the valve clearance on my '78 1K tonight and found all of them to be less than .0015", that's as small as my feeler gauge set goes. In my manual it calls for .001"-.003". My question is, should I reshim or leave them be? The bike has around 36,000 miles on the engine(uncertainty in milage due to multiple broken speedo cables and non original gauge pack).

I should find a feeler gauge that goes down to .001" it be certain.

Originally posted by JATO View Post
    I checked the valve clearance on my '78 1K tonight and found all of them to be less than .0015", that's as small as my feeler gauge set goes. In my manual it calls for .001"-.003". My question is, should I reshim or leave them be? The bike has around 36,000 miles on the engine(uncertainty in milage due to multiple broken speedo cables and non original gauge pack).

If the valves are all tight you should change the shims. They tighten with usage and tight valves leads to damage. Your .0015 gauge is fine, get them to the high end of the spec range.
    Last edited by Nessism; 04-28-2008, 12:31 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Rule of thumb is too loose is better than too tight. If they are at the low end of spec I'd re-shim them. Mine (in metric) is .03 to .08. My gauge only goes to .04. If they were tighter than .04 I took them down one shim size even if it made them too loose.

Comment

Since you are about to embark on this wonderful task, send me an e-mail with "valve adjust spreadsheet" in the subject and I will send you a copy of my spreadsheet that helps you do the math and figure out what shims you need.

When you adjust your valves the first time, you will need to look at all the shims to see what size they are. (My spreadsheet helps you keep track of them.) You may find that you can move some of your shims around to where they are needed and minimize the number of shims you need to buy. I have seen 6 of the 8 valves out of adjustment, but by moving shims around, we only needed to buy 2 shims.

Good luck on finding a feeler gauge smaller than 0.0015". As Nessism and DoctorGonzo have said, your valves are happier at the looser end of the range anyway, so when they get to where your 0.0015" gauge won't go in, changing the shim will take it up between 0.003" and 0.0035", so you will be fine.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How about a Snap-On feeler gauge set that goes down to 0.001" for $5.55 shipped? Order two! http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

OK, I didn't say they weren't out there, I just said "Good luck finding one."

Thanks for the link. 8-[

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A slappy valve is a happy valve

Hi Mr. Jato,

I concur with the wisdom stated thus far. I would also suggest that you invest in a metric feeler gauge. It makes it easier (for me, anyway). If all of your valves clearances are smaller than .0015 inches, chances are that some are too tight and out of spec.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. The chart I have is out of the Haines manual. The job write-up and the chart are very well laid-out and easy (for me at least) to follow even though they are written in the Queen's English instead of our good old American version of the language.

Now another question. Does anyone have a good drawing, with dimensions, of the valve compressor tool that's used to facilitate the shim removal?

Comment

Now another question. Does anyone have a good drawing, with dimensions, of the valve compressor tool that's used to facilitate the shim removal?
                  do a search, it was posted not so long ago
                  or buy it from www.z1enterprises.com for $15
                  it can also be done with a flat head screwdriver used as a lever
                  or by tying zip ties through the spark plug holes
                  GS850GT

Comment

WHat am I doing wrong

This is what I have as far as shims:

Cyl# Pos Current shim New shim from chart

1 Exh 2.85mm 2.80mm

1 Int 2.70mm 2.65mm

2 Exh 2.80mm 2.75mm

2 Int 2.65mm 2.60mm

3 Exh 2.85mm 2.80mm

3 Int 2.70mm 2.65mm

4 Exh 2.85mm 2.80mm

4 Int 2.65mm 2.60mm

I moved around the ones I could (positions 1 exh, 1 int, and 3 int) and there still wasn't any clearance. I even put the 2.65 shims in the positions that had the 2.85 shims, which is a .20mm difference, and still no clearance. Am I doing something wrong? The engine is cold and I positioned the cam lobs as the manual states and yet I'm getting nothing. Are my valves that jacked up? Is a valve job required at this point or do I just have to take it into a shop that has access to all of the shims and let them have a go at it?
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2008, 06:16 PM.

Comment

.0015" is .038mm.
                      So I wouldn't bother getting a smaller feeler gauge and just go one size down on your shims. But if it's real tight you might be going down 2 sizes.
                      One size down will bump you up approx .05mm in clearance. I say approximately because there could be some variation from the measurement stamped on the shim.

.001"-.003" = .03mm-.08mm
                      I would stay with mm as it is easy to get confused and the shims are measured in mm anyway. Look at this thread and you can see already that we're jumping between mm and inches.

Comment

This is what I have as far as shims:

Cyl# Pos Current shim New shim from chart

1 Exh 2.85mm 2.80mm

1 Int 2.70mm 2.65mm

2 Exh 2.80mm 2.75mm

2 Int 2.65mm 2.60mm

3 Exh 2.85mm 2.80mm

3 Int 2.70mm 2.65mm

4 Exh 2.85mm 2.80mm

4 Int 2.65mm 2.60mm

I moved around the ones I could (positions 1 exh, 1 int, and 3 int) and there still wasn't any clearance. I even put the 2.65 shims in the positions that had the 2.85 shims, which is a .20mm difference, and still no clearance. Am I doing something wrong? The engine is cold and I positioned the cam lobs as the manual states and yet I'm getting nothing. Are my valves that jacked up? Is a valve job required at this point or do I just have to take it into a shop that has access to all of the shims and let them have a go at it?
                        Dropping 4 sizes and still no clearance??...yes I think you're doing something wrong!

Comment

I have no idea what I could be doing wrong, I'm following the tech data to the letter. Are the cam followers hydraulic? Do the followers have to be flat? There's zero sludge in the engine, the internals look shinny and new. 4 years ago I did a cylinder leak down test with the current shims in place and I was getting 0% leakage. I'm thinking of buttoning it all back up and doing another leak down test and seeing where it it's at now. Either that or just running it as is and forgetting about it. I'm an FAA certified A&P with most of my experience on recips, so I know my way around engines, but this is confusing the hell out of me.

Comment

I got pictures

Hi Mr. JATO,

Please visit my little BikeCliff website and take a look at the valve adjustment pictorial guide. Maybe it will help. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The procedure I followed is identical to your write-up, BassCliff. What if I pull a shim, measure the clearance between the follower and the cam, subtract the proper clearance and use the remainder to figure out the necessary shim thickness? I don't think the valves on this bike have ever been adjusted in the past 30 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X