Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help...can't get the nut-off

Hey Folks:

Strange problem.. I can't remove the nut that holds the primary/drive sprocket on my 81' GS1100E. I soaked it with PB-blaster, used an impact wrench, tried a little heat from a propane torch.....but nothing helps to break it loose.

Question: Inasmuch as I was a little afraid to put a great deal of heat on the shaft.....could I damage any seals or internals if I heat the sprocket-shaft cherry red???

I know this sounds like a question from a virgin...but I'm sorta stumped. Any suggestions??

Originally posted by dtkid View Post
    Hey Folks:

Strange problem.. I can't remove the nut that holds the primary/drive sprocket on my 81' GS1100E. I soaked it with PB-blaster, used an impact wrench, tried a little heat from a propane torch.....but nothing helps to break it loose.

Question: Inasmuch as I was a little afraid to put a great deal of heat on the shaft.....could I damage any seals or internals if I heat the sprocket-shaft cherry red???

I know this sounds like a question from a virgin...but I'm sorta stumped. Any suggestions??
    i dunno about heat, but have you tried tapping it back and forth tight and loose? that's what i do. if that fails, i get out the 4 foot cheater bar and have a friend hold it on the nut while i step on it.

Comment

May be a silly question, but you did bend the little washer, right?

Comment

uudfourty:

No question is silly.................yes.

Comment

Hey Folks:

Mine is a 77 GS750, so maybe quite different, but the nut on my drive sprocket did not want to come off either. The torque speck for that nut on my bike is pretty high...700+ in-lbs. I had to get my huge Crescent wrench (I think it is about 2 feet long) and REALLY lever it to get the nut to budge.
          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

You do have a oil seal on the so be careful with the heat. Cherry red is not a good thing for the seal or the output shaft. You might be splitting the cases soon.
            Are you having trouble with it spinning on you? Did you put it in gear and have someone sit on it with the rear brake held?
            I bought an electric impact wrench from Habor Freight. That did the trick for me.
            Last edited by chef1366; 04-28-2008, 03:05 PM.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Heating it cherry red would be A Really Bad Idea -- you could really screw up the tempering of the parts, plus, oh yeah -- you'd melt an awful lot of aluminum.

A few ideas:

1) Air impact and a socket that fits right. That should do it right there.

2) Large breaker bar/lever.

3) Assuming the chain is still installed and you have cast wheels, step on the rear brake or put a hunk of 2X4 through the wheel.

4) Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey?
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                I bought an electric impact wrench from Habor Freight. That did the trick for me.
                I second the electric impact from Harbor Fart. Mine has worked like a charm - no compressor required. Much nicer to only have to run extension cords instead of air lines, too.

scurvy

Comment

Thanks guys...........I also can't believe my air-impact wrench wouldn't do the trick. Got it though.........huge lever bar and 1.25in socket (plus large overweight, 4-tooth havin' hillbilly friend sittin' on the seat). By the way, what size is the metric socket for that nut. I couldn't find one big enough, metric that is. Odd, the 1.25in fit it perfect.

Comment

Thanks guys...........I also can't believe my air-impact wrench wouldn't do the trick. Got it though.........huge lever bar and 1.25in socket (plus large overweight, 4-tooth havin' hillbilly friend sittin' on the seat). By the way, what size is the metric socket for that nut. I couldn't find one big enough, metric that is. Odd, the 1.25in fit it perfect.
                    I had the same problem with the socket size. I used a huge cresent wrench to get it off but bought the socket so I could use the torque wrench when I put it back on. The local auto parts store didn't have metric that big but the 1 1/4 fit perfectly.
                    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

inches X 25.4 = mm

1.25" X 25.4 = 31.75mm

So a 1.25" socket probably fits a skosh tighter than the normal 32mm socket. Good to know!

So should we come up with a new "special tool" abbreviation for "large overweight, 4-tooth havin' hillbilly friend"?

LO4THHF? :-D
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Try a more expensive hooker.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          inches X 25.4 = mm

1.25" X 25.4 = 31.75mm

So a 1.25" socket probably fits a skosh tighter than the normal 32mm socket. Good to know!

So should we come up with a new "special tool" abbreviation for "large overweight, 4-tooth havin' hillbilly friend"?

LO4THHF? :-D
                          Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Try a more expensive hooker.
                          ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

HAHAHA. I was waiting for a similar response all morning

Comment

Working...
                            X