Shock spring compressor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock spring compressor question

I bought a new pair of Progressive Suspension shocks & springs on eBay. I had to get different springs than came with them. PS was cool enough to swap me for the right ones w/o charge. Does anyone have a spring compressor that they can loan me? I'll pay the shipping both ways and guarantee that I'll ship it back within 48 hrs of getting it. I can't see buying one that I'll never need again. Its worth my asking.
    Willie in TN
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

I have a spring compressor for auto struts but I think it is too big for bike shocks.

Comment

Set the shock pre-loads to their easiest position to take most of the strain off the spring. Put the top end in a vise with padding to protect it then use a 14 mm wrench to loosen the bolt. When it comes loose it is only going to go about 1/4 inch. Replace the spring and it's easy to push the spring in while starting the 14 mm bolt again.

I've taken my shocks apart this way and it was easy. Nothing flew across the room. The key is to relax the pre-load. I used a really thing 14 mm bicycle cone wrench ( about 5 dollars from a bike shop) and it was a snap. Park Tools makes a 14/13mm open end that is 1/8" thick, a great tool for working on motorcycles.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Dont really need one. Set the preload to the lightest setting. Find a big bolt or something to go through the top eye that you can use for a handle / leverage. I didnt use anything. Assemble the components and push down on the shock and have an available pet monkey, small child, GF or wife slide the keeper in. I did it myself with HD springs. Done.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks for the advice and offer. The shocks are for my Nighthawk and have 2 springs per shock. I'll use your advice and see if I can get them together. 'ppreciate it.
          Willie in TN
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I have a set of compressors but postage from here & back would go a long way towards getting your own set... They're only 40 bucks.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My method: place the spring on the strut and loop a length of rope around the top, or near the top, coil in the spring and around the bottom of the strut. Tie both ends together. Using a wooden batten wind up the rope, garrott style, and as it twists it pulls the top of the spring down. Pop the top on and unwind. A doddle.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
              X