Turn Signal Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
    Common problem with the 78-79 with the self canceling T signals. If the switch does not click & stay in the direction it is pushed You need a different switch I used one from a GS750. You should have the 4 wire plug that the module pluged into modified to connect the front & rear of each side together
    As far as the stock switch you cannot remove the springs
    If I order a new OEM switch from a '79 750, do you know if the pin connections and wiring will be a match? It looks like they are about $100 on Bike Bandit. At this point, $100 bucks feels cheap to get the bike on the road!

Thanks

Comment

I got rid of my self cancelling setup on my '82 1100E and installed an early '90's push to cancel switch off of a GSXR. Cost me about $25 for a really clean looking switch. The plugs match up exactly, and I think you do have to make a jumper with one of the wires on the GSXR side of the plug(it's been a while since I've done it so my memory is a little foggy). It took me about an hour to get it all figured out. I wound up unplugging and discarding the self cancelling mechanism (probably save 5lbs of unecessary copper). If your 1000 is similarly wired, returning the blinker relay to its original position and proceeding as above should get you there.

Comment

Originally posted by basic View Post
        i have the stock GS750L non cancelling turn signals, so i can't help much, but i can try. I also noticed you are from Missouri - whereabouts you from? If it's close maybe we can get together some time.

on a side note, do you have a link to the manu website? maybe if i can see a manual it will help. it sounds like the switch you have installed is a momentary switch. the old stock one was a normal switch. I'm curious if the kisan relay needs constant current to the correct respective side or if the momentary current will get it through. For the momentary to work it would seem that it needs a connection to positive voltage from somewhere other than the signal switch.

EDIT - After a quick search, i found the kisan signal minder. if this is what you have it is my understanding it will only self cancel if the switch is left on, and does not work with the momentary switches. If this is what you have, it's basically made to set blink rates on other than stock loads (LED turn signals for example) and turn them off automatically if you forget to (which i do sometimes).

EDIT 2 - After reading the manual from kisantech.com - it seems you have to install the running light option for momentary switchs to work. There's a part in the manual (located at http://www.kisantech.com/brochures/SM-inst-manual.pdf ) that states

"Q:
        ...But now the turn signals will flash only if I hold the switch down. As soon as I let go of the lever, they stop flashing. What’s wrong?
        A:

You have not made the Running Light option connections. Without the Running Light option hooked up, as soon as the turn signal switch comes to neutral, there’s no continuity. signalMinder needs alternate paths, so it can supply the current to the turn signal bulbs"
        I finally got this to work. As described above, the Kisan relay is wired into the orange wire powering the handlebar switch. The "running light" option for the Kisan module runs a wire from the back side of the relay into the turn signal wire on each side. Voila! The turn signals and running lights work. This is a pretty cost effective alternative if you want the self-cancelling feature. I think that the factory self-cancelling relay was about $300 U.S. The Kisan relay was $115 and provides the running light and brake modulation options at no extra charge.

As a newb, I had to learn to read a wiring diagram and basic electrical concepts to make this work. For those with wiring system experience, I'm guessing it would be pretty simple. I hope this proves helpful to someone down the road.

By the way, I in the St. Louis area. Sorry for not responding to your original inquiry! I guess I was more intent on getting the bike on the road.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
        X