Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air screw setting increments for safe p. chopping

Hey guys.

82' 1000 Kat, pods, mtc open header 4 into 1. Stage 1 back in, used to have a stage 3, didn't run too smooth though.

Checked my plugs, running lean, as in crisp white. I would normally plug chop her as I turned out the air screws, but I don't want to run her so lean and create an expensive problem. Can anyone tell me how many turns I could back the air screws out from where they are now (2 1/2), to make it safe enough to take her on the road and plug chop her?

I know this is a shot in the dark for you guys, but I guess what I'm asking is what increments could I use to get her away from lean quickly. 1 turn? 2? I would rather be rich to start off, and trim the fuel down, you know what I mean.

Backing the screws out will add more air, thus making it more lean. Turn them in to decrease the air, and richen the mix. Probably 1/4 to 1/2 turn, then recheck.

Greg O.

Comment

Holy crap. I've always thought turn them out increased FUEL. So the 'air screws actually control air? Like as in vacuum to increase or lower fuel? never messed with these much until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Escobarclan View Post
        Holy crap. I've always thought turn them out increased FUEL. So the 'air screws actually control air? Like as in vacuum to increase or lower fuel? never messed with these much until recently.
        CV carbs. Out to richen.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

cool, thanks

Comment

I have had VM carbs on the brain lately, didn't even think about your bike having CV carbs. But if I understand the cv carbs, you are not controling the air, but instead the gas. So therefore clockwise leans the mix, counterclockwise richens the mix.

Greg O.

Comment

ok, thank you. gotta get this lean problem fixed.

Comment

Working...
              X