GS 450S, ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450S, ignition problem

Hi, I have Gs450s 1985 and now it has got quite mysterious ignition problem.

It gives one spark and then nothing unless I use stop-switch or key to turn off ignition. After that it gives again one spark.

Both coils are fine I quess coz around 16kohm and that one spark is very good.

Any ideas what to do ? I'm out of ideas. I have take every plugs and terminal off and clean them. Ignition switch terminal was toasted (fixed now with abikos)

And sorry my bad english...

What "bad English"? Your command of the English language appears to be better than some of the native-born Americans here. :shock:

Now, to offer insight to your problem.
    Since you do get one spark when the stop-switch is activated, it appears that the ignitor and the coils are working. I would look into the signal generator(s) on the right end of the crank. They send signals to the ignitor to interrupt current to the coils, so it appears that the signals are not being sent.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

what's the best way to check those signal generators ?

and now I somehow manage to lost sparks totally. This is very odd I can't find anything flault for this all. I hope there is not anything expensive broken

Comment

I took that signal generator off, and measured those wires. Other give around 300ohm (between Green with white stripe and black with white stripe) and other didn't give anything (Brown and that black with white stripe)

Comment

It appears that you might need a new signal gererator. I believe that they are not individually replaceable, you must buy the pair mounted on the plate.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X