1983 GS550E pilot jet size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS550E pilot jet size?

Hello, i'm new to this site and to riding. Just bought a 1983 GS550E. I have taken apart the carbs to be chem dipped ( Berrymans ), main air jets clogged, ( unclogged and awaiting chem dip ) i pulled the plugs and they are very black (running very rich ) plug is DE8 ( the hotter one ).

I also noticed that there are two different size pilot jets in each carb. #37.5 and a #30. Is this normal? I checked the factory manual and the online micro fiche, the fiche says four are required and it is #35.

I decoded the vin which told me it was a GS550E (verified at suzuki dealer-keep fingers crossed!) as oppossed to the other models listed for the same year( ie: GS550ES, ESD,ES3 etc etc.) I have since ordered the #35 jets from suzuki as well as the main air jets and of course the air intake boot o-rings ( thanks to this site for the recomendation). Just a couple more questions,
    1- How many turns out should the needles be when i assemble everything as a starting point?

2-My valves don't appear to have shims, the factory manual does not list shims either, simply to use the suzuki valve adjustment tool which looks like a knob on a small stem, factory clearances according to the EPA label on the bike are .08-.13mm Should i adjust them like any normal valve adjustment with a feeler guage to the highest setting-.13mm? or should there be shims?

Sorry for the long thread just wanted to give as much info as possible to avoid wasting anyone's time.This site has helped tremendously to save my project. Thank you in advance for your help and a great site.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2008, 10:14 PM.

83 GS550E
    Mikuni
    BSW30SS
    30 mm

It should have 43410 stamped on the side

Fuel level: 6.5 +/- 0.5mm (.26 +/-.02in)
    float height: 20.5 +/- 1.0mm (0.81 +/- .04in)
    Main jet:
    cylinders 1 and 4: 95
    cylinders 2 and 3: 102.5
    main air jet: 1.0
    Jet Needle: 5C64
    Clip position: 1 groove from top
    needle jet: P-2
    Throttle Valve: 120
    Pilot Jet: 35
    Bypass: 0.8,0.7,0.8,0.8
    Pilot outlet: 0.7
    Float valve seat: 2.5
    starter jet: 55
    Pilot screw: Preset

Comment

Thank you very much for the help, yes it does have that number on the side!!

As for the mixture screws how many turns should i make them to start when i am ready to sync the carbs? there are two on each carb.

I will post pics as progress is made.

Comment

Usually about 1 and half turns is a good starting point. After 3 or 4 turns it will be full rich.

Comment

Once again my sincerest gratitude for your help, it will be a week before the parts are in so i will be doing the valve adjustments and other necessities until they arive. I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

Comment

Not a problem. These bikes are actually pretty easy to work on. Not a whole lot that can go wrong.

You valves have threaded adjusters on the rocker arms. Each rocker actuates two valves. Just be careful not to drop anything down the cam chain tunnel. You might want to seal it off with rags or something. Adjust them to the loose side of spec. Valves generally tighten up between adjustments if they are going to do anything.

For a cheap valve adjusting tool there are deck screws that use a square bit to screw in and out. There is one size that fits the threaded adjusters perfectly. Just screw that into a short piece of dowel and you have a good tool for the adjustment. The locknut is 9mm I believe. You can break them loose with a 1/4" rachet. Use a box end to tighten them up, an open end will ruin the nut. Make sure you lock them down good and tight. I spun a couple right out of the rockers once on a bad misshift.

Comment

Any advice on aftermarket mufflers? i would like ones that are comparable to stock in terms of being quiet so i don't have to re-jet the carbs now that the stock jets are coming.

I can mig weld new down pipes if needed and make Y pipes to join them 4 into 2 similiar to the stock configuration but would like to find universal mufflers if possible, if not i will get the stock ones, however two bolts were broken off into the head and are still there which will have to be extracted!!

I never thought of the screw idea but that is GENIOUS!!!!! so that is what i will do this weekend!!! at least get something accomplished till the parts arrive in a week.

I took a look at the main jets ( not the pilot jets thank you again for the aformentioned breakdown of part numbers) and three say 105 and one says 112.5 ( they were BARELY legible ) could have been 102.5 but the others definetly were the wrong ones!

i have already ordered these i just have to take out the main air jets to verify what number these are however they are are DISCONTINUED! so i will have to try to find them online. I may get lucky and the prior owner never touched them perhaps they are the correct ones.

And once again you are right it is a 9mm, i will definetly take your advice on the rags to block the timing chain holes. Also thank you for answering my question on shims, i'm so relieved i don't have to go through a sub project to get them adjusted!

I really love this bike i think it is truly the perfect bike!!! Sorry for yet another long post but this is like talking to a suzuki GOD to me so pardon the length.

Comment

Good luck with everything. There are several people here that will be able to walk you through most of what you have to do (you have found one already). I have the same bike and I am also trying to get it back to life. After the carbs and the o-rings. make sure it is airtight and all your electrical connections are good. I have had problems with the igniter on the bike and will probably be getting the HYPERPAK to solve that problem. You will love the bike once it is running right.

Comment

Thank you for your patience it's good to hear someone else has had the same bike i see so many postings for other engine sizes and models. I sincerely appreciate your help and will post my progress and hopefully some pics soon. I will be checking the electrical after the oil leaks and valve adjustments are done to be ready for the carb assembly i will keep you posted of my progress,
                  best regards :-D
                  Rod

Comment

I have an 85 GS550E and I got new jets from the Suz dealer within a week. Try another dealer or order from an online dealer.

Comment

Thank you for your advice on checking other dealers, i got the deck screw and it fits the valves perfectly!!,

i did finally manage to get the PILOT AIR JETS out, they all say .50 nothing else is ledgable. One jet i managed to read is possibly a #150 So they may all be #150, this part is DISCONTINUED from the dealer and some online sources. The factory manual says they should be #145 so i don't know if using a 150 will still work well if all other jets are stock. I will keep looking and see what i come up with.

Comment

Thank you for the advice on checking other dealers and online, most online resources and teh dealer are discontinued on the pilot air jets and my local dealer said a week for the parts. The deck screw idea from billy worked great perfect fit!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X