GS 1150 rear shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1150 rear shock

I need to replace the rear shock on my original 9000 mi. GS 1150. The spring preload nor the rebound dampening adjustments affect the soft bouncy condition at all. My other 1150 had alredy had the original replaced with a fox unit, before I baught it, & it's working great. Fox no longer has this shock, Works is the only aftermarket co. that I have found that has a replacement unit for the GS 1150. I would like to keep the bike original, but if the original will not last more than 9000 mi. I may want to go for the aftermarket. How good were the original shocks? Did both of mine give up early, or are all of them short termed? Are they as adjustable as the aftermarket, and should they last as long as an aftermarket? Decisions, decisions,

generally, after-market are an improvement

Comment

My 1150 has 36000 miles on it and the original shock now needs a rebuild, so yours does seem somewhat short lived. Hagon, Koni,Ohlins, Penske all have a shock to suit an 1150, but I think the original after a rebuild and new spring and of cause re-valving to suit your requirements should be fine.
      Dink

Comment

Randy Ruby who posts here from time to time lives near Lindemann Engineering. LE does suspension work for top riders on the road race circuits. Randy was going to have them see if they could rebuild his stock 1150 shock. It looked to me that what LE hoped to find out about the shock meant it could be done by them. You might PM Randy for an update.

Comment

Billy:

Is there any replacement available for the rear shock on the 1983-85 GS750/700 E/ES? I imagine that the OE shock (if available) is prohibitively expensive but I don't recall ever seeing an aftermarket one offered.

Simon

Comment

Simon,
            I've never seen one. I've been told Fox will build one to spec if you contact them. It has the same type setup as the '86 and '87 GSX-Rs. With a heavier spring one from the early Gixxers could be made to work. You see a Fox shock from time to time on Ebay for those years. I think the GSX-R shock may be a bit shorter though. But Fox had ride height adjusters on many of their shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
              My 1150 has 36000 miles on it and the original shock now needs a rebuild, so yours does seem somewhat short lived. Hagon, Koni,Ohlins, Penske all have a shock to suit an 1150, but I think the original after a rebuild and new spring and of cause re-valving to suit your requirements should be fine.
              Dink
              do you have any part no's or prices.(how about web adresses) both of my bikes have bad schocks one with 17,000mi and one with 10,000

Comment

Sorry Skip I cant help you with this question as all the businesses I know of are in Oz, but any suspension rebuilder can do what I am talking about.
                Dink

Comment

The original Suzuki rear shock is available for $869, according to my Suzuki dealer. Works has different styles ranging from $469 to $639 to fit the 1150's. Progressive and Fox said they didn't have a replacement, nor did they mention rebuilding my old one nor custom building one. Still looking for more imfo from Koni, Penski, etc.

Comment

Hey fellow 1150 ers

I am running a fox shock on my 1150. It came off a 90 gsxr 750. I installed a heaver spring (that came with it) and adjusted the hight of the shock to match the original one on the 1150. The one end of the shock bolted right up and on the other end I had to cut some of the original mount and install a spacer. The shock changed the ride so much I thought I was on a different bike . I recommend this upgrade for every bike.

Gerry

Comment

Can anyone supply contact details for any aftermarket shock suppliers, on the web obviously.
                      Dink

Comment

FOX redefines ride dynamics for ATVs, mountain bikes, motocross, off-road vehicles, snowmobiles, trucks, and UTVs.

Öhlins is the number 1 suspension manufacturer of suspension for motorcycle and cars within aftermarket, OEM and motorsport with over 400 motorsport titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry
                          Hey fellow 1150 ers

I am running a fox shock on my 1150. It came off a 90 gsxr 750. I installed a heaver spring (that came with it) and adjusted the hight of the shock to match the original one on the 1150. The one end of the shock bolted right up and on the other end I had to cut some of the original mount and install a spacer. The shock changed the ride so much I thought I was on a different bike . I recommend this upgrade for every bike.
                          I'm gad someone finally took the chance and found out if the Gixxer shocks worked. I knew the first few years the shock was the same general design. That's good news.

Comment

info@worksperformance.com

Comment

Re: GS1150 shock

I am in a similar dilemma with my 29,000 mile 85 ES. However I have contacted all of the people mentioned here (lindemann etc.)and they told me that the stock shock is not rebuildable. They wanted nothing to do with the stock forks either.

Works or Ohlins seems to be the best bet for an aftermarket piece. With Ohlins getting the nod for quality and cool factor. The only problem is getting Ohlins to accept that the 1150 was the GSX1100 in europe. They didn't specifically list the GS 1150 in their catalog.

Comment

Working...
                              X