Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike Wont Start Gs1100gl 1982-electrical Problem ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Wont Start Gs1100gl 1982-electrical Problem ???

Hi I Am Currently Doing Some Running Repairs To My 1982 Gs 1100 Gl. I Rebuilt The Carbs And Upon Trying To Re-start Discovered Very Little To No Spark *?#!? Coincidence Or Just Lucky?? Any Ways A Couple Of Questions
    1- Are There Any Ways Of Testing The Coils Other Than Removing A Plug And Cranking It Over To See A Spark ?
    2- Where Would Be The Best Place To Pick A Couple Of Coils And New Lead Sets Up From.
    Has Any One Got Any Ideas, As Usual All Feedback Is Appreciated.
    Andrew

Check out the ongoing discussions on this thread.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Pretty interesting views / info on these old bikes wiring harneses, connectors, and voltage loss. Take note of the voltage loss at your coils. There is a popular relay mod that may help your spark issue.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Andrew,

Battery charged? Maybe, if it sat a long time during the carb work, the battery not at full charge.

Same weak spark on all 4 plugs? Or you only look at one?

Pulling the plug/plugs and looking at the spark is a good way to see the health of the entire ignition system. BUt doesnt tell you much about what might be causing the problem. If some sparks better than others, say 1&4 verses 2&3, well then can suspect a problem with the respective coil/circuit. If all four weak, than can suspect something that would effect both circuits/coils, like the voltage to the coils. Before you get too much furter you are going to need a volt meter (multi meter).

Tell us more what you find.
      Last edited by Redman; 05-02-2008, 05:02 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I also have an 82 1100GL and the spark plug boots are shot. They are suppose to only ohm 5K and instead it was 1.5MM ohms.

At 3.30 a piece, you can't go wrong replacing them.

XB05F
        VB05F

Comment

Thanks for your response, yes battery is charged fully, and yes you make a good point i only checked 1 plug so i will now put the coil back on and do some further testing...Thanks again'
          Andrew

Comment

Working...
          X