Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Starter motor: Good idea??

Hi all,

I've got my GS850 (80), and I'm wondering if I should take a look at my starter motor. My bike still starts alright, although not as quick as it used to, so I'm wondering if this is a good idea, as there is probably gunk and stuff up in there that hinders its work.

Any suggestions, or should I just let her be?
    Would it be worth it, or is it really time consuming?? (doesnt seem like it would be)

THANKS.

POOT

what do you mean inside the starter motor????

the internals should be clean.. unless your leaking oil or something down into the passageway and its getting into the starter...

Comment

I would pickup a set of brushes

I took my GS1100ED starter apart, cleaned the goop out of it (it was not filled; just older). The PO had apparently already changed out the brushes (but not cleaned it) as they were barely used. A nice cleaning and re-grease of the bearings with some lithium grease makes me feel better anyway. It comes apart and goes together alot like a car starter.

Posplayr

Comment

Slow turning starter is probably caused by poor wire connections along the way or worn brushes, or the commutator inside the starter...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

it turns alright, I was just thinking whether it was any gunk inside there due to milage, as I dont have oil leaks.

I've never taken apart a car starter, so I'm not sure on the difficulty level here, although I've done most other things on my bike.

You think I should just let it be I guess?

POOT

Comment

Like anything read the manual

and remember how it comes a part as that is how it goes back together. The only real trick is that you will have to use some small wires to hold the brushes back as you reinstall the armature. (otherwise you need four hands). If your brushes are worn out that is not good. I'm assuming mine were replace .
            But maybe MC starters can go 100K miles before replacement? Even if all you do its clean and regrease the bearing (on each end) that is worth it (but that is just me).

Posplayr

Comment

Can't hurt if you have nothing else to work on and the wife or girlfriend is getting on your nerves.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X