GS 750 Engine interchange question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 750 Engine interchange question

I would like to know if the engines are the same between an '82 GS 750 and a '79-'80 GS 750? Thanks, Mike

If it's got rectangular cam end covers, it's a 16 valve,if they're round, it's an 8 valve, they should swap fine

Comment

Re: GS 750 Engine interchange question

The engine mounts between those years are all the same. However, starting with 1980, the carbs were 32 mm CV's instead of the earlier 26 or 28mm (I forget which size) VM style. Therefore, the airbox boots on a 79 will be too small to fit over the 32mm CV carbs. You will need to modify the airbox to accept the 32mm boots. You will not be able to simply install a later model airbox as it will not fit the 79.

Earl

Originally posted by cheetah-bike
      I would like to know if the engines are the same between an '82 GS 750 and a '79-'80 GS 750? Thanks, Mike
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: GS 750 Engine interchange question

Originally posted by earlfor
        The engine mounts between those years are all the same. However, starting with 1980, the carbs were 32 mm CV's instead of the earlier 26 or 28mm (I forget which size) VM style. Therefore, the airbox boots on a 79 will be too small to fit over the 32mm CV carbs. You will need to modify the airbox to accept the 32mm boots. You will not be able to simply install a later model airbox as it will not fit the 79.

Earl

Originally posted by cheetah-bike
        What you could do is get an airbox from a 1980 or later GS850GT or GS1000GT. This is the same as the 77-79 750 box, but has the larger carb boots. This does work, I've done it.

Comment

Working...
        X