Need Stator and Regulator help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Stator and Regulator help!

I ordered an Electrex Stator and Regulator. But the wiring is wierd. I am about to take pics so if anyone knows what do (as to where to connect the wires), please let me know.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

2010 Honda VFR1200F
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

2010 Honda VFR1200F
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Sorry, can't tell a lot from the pictures, but the wiring is rather simple.

The stator has three wires coming out of it.

The regulator likely has 5 wires. Three of them are likely yellow, one is red, one is black.

Connect the three stator wires directly to the three yellow wires on the regulator.

Connect the red wire to the positive terminal on the battery, but go through a 20 amp fuse.

Connect the black wire directly to the negative terminal on the battery.

There are a couple of wires that are probably connected on your bike now, like the white with green stripe, and likely one that is white with a red stripe. You can ignore them. They lead to an unused function, and if you ignore them, you will do yourself a favor by eliminating thre possible bad connection points in the charging circuit.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you. What pics would help more?
          2010 Honda VFR1200F
          Being Revisited
          1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Those are nice pictures of connectors, but there is no telling what they go to, but it does not really matter.
            Just connect the stator to the r/r, then the r/r to the battery and your charging problems should go away.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I got pictures!

Hi Mr. cloudbreakmind,

Check out picture #6 in my r/r replacement guide. Like Mr. Steve says, I cut back the wires to my non-existent headlight switch and wired all three stator wires directly to the r/r input wires. Note that if you have a 5-wire unit, you will not have a "sense" wire. I connected the "hot wire" from the r/r to the red wire from the wiring harness. It runs through the fusebox and eventually gets to the (+) battery. Clean all your connections good while you have it apart. I scrubbed all of mine with a little wire brush, even the ground connection to the back of the motor (hard to get to). Forgive me if I state the obvious. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2008, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I had the same issue, Cloudbreakmd. I was confused by the two wires going directly to the stator and the other one being routed down into the bundle of wires.

Luckily these BassCliff and others set me straight. If you follow these suggestions its basically idiot proof, even for a dolt like me! :-D

Comment

Working...
                X