Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust leak at pre-muffler. Connector? Gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust leak at pre-muffler. Connector? Gasket?

Exhaust leak where the 2nd & 3rd exhuast header pipes go into that collector (pre muffler, thing under the engine), 82 GS1100GK. Mostley on startup I can hear the putta-putta from underneath the engine. ANd can feel the exhaust leak if put hand close to there.

The clamps are tight (and they are newer clamps). When I had it apart previously I noticed that there seems to be some sort of packing or some sort of heat-insulator-gasket-sealing material inside the opening on those collector ports. ANd on the BikeBandit microfische there are shown "connectors" that look like thin cyclinders that are in about that location ($16 each). THese are probably what I need.

Questions:

- are those cylindrical "connectors" the heat-insulator-gasket-sealing material that I have seen inside the opening of the collector? I know that I am not confusing these with the clamps, but wondering if there is someother part that I dont remember, and maybe these "connectors" are not the heat-insulator-gasket-sealing material.

- anybody share thier experince with trying to remove the old ones?

- new ones just postion in there, or should some adhesive be used?

- and any comments on how bad of an exhaust leak it takes to effect performance? (everything else is stock, except main jets from 115 to 120)I made a temperary repair of these exhaiust leaks by stuffing jamming cramming some universal-multipurpose-wonder material (ah, duct tape folded over) in there, and seems to run a bit smoother, but maybe thats just my impression because now it sounds more like inline 4 cyclinder and less like a 2 cylinder 1949 John Deer B model.

Oh, I can reward any good advice by offereing for sale one of those collectors (pre-muffler) that I still have from when I had a 80 GS850G. Seems all solid.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

My impression (however wrong it might be) is that those gaskets merely sit in the inlets of the pre-muffler and are slightly compressed into place by the header pipes.

I am also under the impression that it would take quite a bit more than a "putta-putta" type of leak to Affect performance.

To get the old ones out, you will, of course, have to remove the header pipes for 2&3, then simply use a screwdriver or hook of some sort to pull the old gaskets out. Scrape the area as clean as practical, then just set the new gasket into place and replace the header pipes and clamp them into place. Oh, and good luck getting all the residue from your "universal-multipurpose-wonder material" out of there.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had a similar problem and fixed it by replacing all the clamps and connectors.

Comment

Thanks Steve, Thanks Emjay.

Getting so that I can pretty much expect a reply/comment from Steve. Thanks. And now also get grammer advice also (and I know I need help, spelling also)

Enjay, You replaced those due to the exhast leak. You notice any difference in perfromance? I will do it just to reduce that annoyance of the noise and the fact that the exhaust leak "just aint right", but also wonder if it affects the performance.

So these part #8 "connectors" (14771-49001, $16 each) are the gasket like material inside the collector? Hum, wonder why the collector not shown here.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

how about this exhaust diagram:

or is the 1100 not like the 850 with that "premuffler" in the middle???
          Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2008, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Mighty, My bike and my schematic/micrfishe posted is GS1100GK.
            Oh, DOAH! ---mental malfunction --- dont have the premuffler, scheesch. My memory of the 850G (that I had 2 years ago) still had the premuffler. Geepers, I confused myself.

Looks like on the 850 schematic you posted the #6 parts are like the #8 parts on mine, although would probably be different size as the exhaust pipes on 1100 seem bigger diameter than 850 (based on my visual observation of 850 parked next to 1100).

So, are those "connectors" the gasket type materials inside the pipe (or inside the premuffler/connector ?

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              ...Enjay, You replaced those due to the exhast leak. You notice any difference in perfromance? I will do it just to reduce that annoyance of the noise and the fact that the exhaust leak "just aint right", but also wonder if it affects the performance...
              Yes and yes. My exhaust was loud and it seemed like the performance wasn't what it should be. So, when I checked the exhaust I found the leak. I also replaced the "collector" or whatever it's called - mine was rusted out where it connects to the headers. The fix took care of the leak, it sounds normal now, and seemed to have improved the performance. I qualify that last statement cause I did some carb work as well so it's hard to say how much it affected things. Regardless, I just didn't want any leaks.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              ... So these part #8 "connectors" (14771-49001, $16 each) are the gasket like material inside the collector? Hum, wonder why the collector not shown here.
              Yes, those are the ones. I think they're metal-bestos or something. I think I got them cheper from my dealer, but don't recall exactly.

Comment

I replaced these on my 850 last year. They are a shiny, silver-black stuff, probably asbestos or whatever they're using instead of asbestos these days. They were about $16 or $17 from El BikeBandito.

And yes, these jobbies ARE important -- I had one that got smooshed and wouldn't seal quite right. The symptom was a slight backfire on trailing throttle. If it's bad enough you can feel the breeze with your hand, then it'll be a lot worse.

Better hop on it -- Brown County is less than two weeks away...!
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Brian im having a similar problem on the 1100g. Pops a bit on decel. But sounds like its coming from the crossover pipe/premuffler whatever you call it. I dont think its a carb issue. Everything is bone stock. Valves are adjusted (of course, i think YOU did them. or helped at least) so is this likely the problem? Just the gasket thingies in the crossover and connections?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Brian im having a similar problem on the 1100g. Pops a bit on decel. But sounds like its coming from the crossover pipe/premuffler whatever you call it. I dont think its a carb issue. Everything is bone stock. Valves are adjusted (of course, i think YOU did them. or helped at least) so is this likely the problem? Just the gasket thingies in the crossover and connections?
                    Yes, those underneath seals are very important and will cause decel popping.

I successfully patched mine with the old piece-of-aluminum-can-with-hose-clamps trick for a couple of weeks until the parts came in and I had time to deal with it.

Also, don't forget the exhaust seals where the headers bolt to the engine. You can only re-use these once or twice. When one of these is leaking, you'll hear an odd metallic ticking or tapping sound that gets louder under load. Leaks here can also cause backfires.

Careful with those header bolts, though...
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Yes, those underneath seals are very important and will cause decel popping.

I successfully patched mine with the old piece-of-aluminum-can-with-hose-clamps trick for a couple of weeks until the parts came in and I had time to deal with it.

Also, don't forget the exhaust seals where the headers bolt to the engine. You can only re-use these once or twice. When one of these is leaking, you'll hear an odd metallic ticking or tapping sound that gets louder under load. Leaks here can also cause backfires.

Careful with those header bolts, though...
                      Thanks sir, i will check into getting a set of replacement seals. Fortunately, it seems Brett, and yourself, have this thing ticking just fine, aside from a couple things here and there. WONDERFULL bike. I am in love. And so far i havent found a seized bolt yet. Lets keep hoping! Lol

Comment

Yes, Brain, Yes, I have ordered a set ot the 'connectors' based on the fine recomendations of you and others here. But, no, I am not touching anything that has half a chance, no, wait, am not touching anything that has even 1% chance of jepordizing the bikes availablity for the BC ride.

Comment

Just a followup to the pre-muffler removal question. I live in the Chicago area, and have a bone stock 82 GS850G with 28,000 miles in very good shape. Every few years, I take off the original mufflers to put on chrome polish for rust prevention. The muffler set has a pre-muffler (I'd call it an h-manifold) that won't come off of the right muffler (cylinder #4). The left muffler (cylinder #1) is fine, it's totally loose when I take off the clamps. On the right muffler, the bolt clamps have been taken off, the "squeeze slots" of the back muffler have been opened up slightly, and I've hit the h-manifold with a rubber hammer to loosen it without any luck. I can see that there is some type of sealing material in there. The pre-muffler doesn't look like it's been welded to it, but maybe has rusted tight? I really don't want to bung up the original right muffler trying to pound the pre-muffler off. Any suggestions for how to get this h-manifold off my right muffler? I'd like to put those $16 asbestos-like seals on my bike, but can't get to step one. Thanks for your help.

Comment

It sounds like a PO put some kind of muffler repair goop on there instead of fixing it properly. All four connections came free fairly easily on mine. Maybe you could soak it in some solvent somehow.

You definitely want to be careful trying to get it apart. No big deal if you damage the premuffler (as Suzuki calls it) since they're still available for your bike, as are the headers for cylinders 2 and 3. But the header/muffler combination pieces for 1 and 4 are long gone and used ones are VERY hard to find.

Comment

Working...
                            X