Tires, tires and more tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires, tires and more tires

I know everyone gets tired of tires but I'm wondering what you guys think about a couple of brands that almost never seem to be mentioned. Does anyone have thoughts about Duro tires? How about IRC tires?

When I bought my GS1100, it had a brand new set of IRC 310's on it and they seem to handle really well (at least it seems like it to me).

The reason I ask about Duro is because they look pretty decent but I don't remember them ever being discussed. I appreciate any thoughts or experiences regarding either.:-D
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

I've used IRC's on a few bikes,dirt and street, and don't have any complaints. Handled well enough and wore good. Dirt bike tires worked really well in the woods. I've also used a set of Duro's on a Dual Sport, and they worked really well.

Oh yeah, Also have a new set of Duro flat track tires for my step sons quad, but racing season hasn't started yet here, so will see how they do.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2008, 09:47 PM. Reason: remember

Comment

Both brands have a good reputation amongst the mud-spattered knobby crowd and the wee-wheeled scooterists, but aren't very well known in the street tire arena.

So i guess our first data point is your report that the tires seem to handle pretty well and haven't caused you any soiled britches yet. Keep reporting back as they wear and keep track of how many miles they travel -- one of the hallmarks of a really good tire is that it handles predictably and consistently start to finish.

There are some who will harrumph and fuss about any bargain tire, which is nonsense. Cheng Shin's HiMax tires are well known to be sticky, durable, and a screaming bargain to boot, so there's no reason that IRC or Duro's offerings couldn't also be good values and good performers.

In the end, I will guarantee you that a new $120 set of IRCs or Duros will feel and perform better than a crusty worn-out set of $350 Metzelers.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have a set of Duro's... Seem pretty good to me, but I can't say how anything regarding the milage you'll get.

I bought them based on the reccomendation of a mechanic friend who's installed them on a number of bikes and always had positive feedback.

I think I paid $115 for both tires (installed).

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the information, guys! I've always used GT501's on the GS750 so I'll see how these IRC's work out and I'll report on it later on.:-D

Comment

I put a set of the IRC Durotours (I believe it was) and was completely happy with them. They mounted easily enough and lasted as long or longer than any other tire I tried. Traction was all I ever needed, although I still have virgin knees so I didn't push them all THAT hard.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by Mark whiz View Post
              I put a set of the IRC Durotours (I believe it was) and was completely happy with them. They mounted easily enough and lasted as long or longer than any other tire I tried. Traction was all I ever needed, although I still have virgin knees so I didn't push them all THAT hard.
              Yep, those are the ones! Thanks for the info.:-D

Comment

Working...
              X