Gas Tank Switcheroos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank Switcheroos

Ok,,I know this is probably an old topic but I am going to ask anyway. Will a fuel tank from a 81 GS850 fit on a 81 GS100GL? I can see in the photos on ebay that the rear mounts are similar but I cannot see the underside of the tank. Thanks for any help.[-o<

I know for a fact that unless they are both "L" models, it's a no Go. The gas tanks on the "L" and "G" and "E" models mount differently.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

NOT entirely true. My 1100G model mounts like an "L". Unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        NOT entirely true. My 1100G model mounts like an "L". Unfortunately.
        But yours is an '82. He's asking about '81s, which might be a different thing, because they changed other stuff about the tank, as well. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The front hangers are still going to be different. Ls that i have seen thus far all have posts sticking out further down the back bone, rather than the E type up by the neck. If you look at your wifes bike, also an 82 i know, you will see under the neck where the "E" posts WOULD have been. The 750L is the same as well. However, having said that, if you dont mind augmenting your frame, ANY tank can be made to fit. I have sat and pondered, and have come up with ways to make any of them fit to any frame. LOL

Comment

I see I'm not the only one that's not satisfied with a tiny fuel tank. Refilling every 100 miles is no fun.

Comment

Originally posted by bleeble View Post
              Refilling every 100 miles is no fun.
              You must have one of the really tiny tanks. :shock:

My wife's '82 850L has a 4.3 gallon tank, and we usually cover at least 140 miles before she switches it to reserve. 8-[

On the other hand, we do have to fill it 3 times on a good day's ride. \\/

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                You must have one of the really tiny tanks. :shock:

My wife's '82 850L has a 4.3 gallon tank, and we usually cover at least 140 miles before she switches it to reserve. 8-[
                My tank starts to suck air at 2.5 gallons. I suppose I could go farther, but I'd rather not chance having to push my bike to the next gas station if I run out.

I wonder if I could fit a tank from one of the bigger L's...

Comment

Like I said, you have one of the tiny tanks. I think the tank on my son's 650L is 3.4 gallons, so it would probably suck air at 2.5 also.
                  I have not tried swapping tanks to see if they would fit. I will be going to his place in the next week or so, so I might try to see if the tanks would swap.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Like I said, you have one of the tiny tanks. I think the tank on my son's 650L is 3.4 gallons, so it would probably suck air at 2.5 also.
                    I have not tried swapping tanks to see if they would fit. I will be going to his place in the next week or so, so I might try to see if the tanks would swap.

If you do that, I'd really like to know how/if they fit.

Comment

Originally posted by bleeble View Post
                      If you do that, I'd really like to know how/if they fit.

Actually isn't that the best way to tell if it will work? Have someone else do it and then ask them so you don't have to do all the leg work!!! \\/

Comment

So did you have any luck swapping those tanks?

Comment

Glad to see I'm not the only one filling up every 120 miles....

It starts sputtering at about 120 miles, and takes 2.5 gallons to fill it up again. I've gotten to 140 on reserve, I don't know how much farther it could have gone but I didn't want to push it.

The manual says 3.4 gallons including half a gallon of reserve.

Comment

Working...
                          X