gs 750 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 750 help

Hi, new here. I have a 81 gs 750l. the bike was reportedly running fine until the po removed the air box and installed individual pod air filters, saying the bike was now running lean. The bike would only run a little with full choke out. I also noticed fuel running out of the carbs with the pods off. I assumed it was not lean but rich. I put new float valves in to stop the overfilling of the bowls, cleaned with carb spray cleaner all orffices I could see, removed main jet and sprayed in and cleaned it. I put it back together and it improved the running, it will now start with some choke manipulation and run if I keep some choke in it for idle, and it will run with choke off if I keep rpms up but will back fire some when I back off the throttle a little. Help!!! Do I need to put the air box back on to make it run???? and discard the pods?? If I want to keep the pods what do I need to do??? right now I just really want to get it running enough to get around. The carbs have not been seprated, I have just worked on the bottom of them. They are the CV carbs. As for the float level will this make a big factor in it running?? I've manipulated the tangs enough to stop the overfilling, but how and where do you measure the hight of the floats. The books say 0.94 in. and use calipers????? where do you measure the floats at???? is it where gasket sets (minus gasket) to top of float or top of the flat area on float where the tang is at??? When I inverted the carbs and set tangs to make the float level ( level at flat area where tang is loacated) reassyembled, fuel still over flowed. So I adjusted tangs to where fuel would not overflow.

Bike has a 4 into one vance hines pipe. I dont see any mix screw or idle screw on the body of the carbs to do any adjusting???? the book on it has not been helpful so maybe and please if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

With the 4-1 pipe and the pods you will need a Dynojet stage three jetting kit. If you bent the tank on the floats without measuring them this is bad. Do the carb cleaning series. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

The float heigth on my 1100 is 21.4mm plus or minus 1mm.

Develop a great plan for boosting your motorcycle’s performance by using our convenient, reliable motorcycle carburetor Jet Kits available online. Once you see these kits in action, it will become clear why they’re the products that started the Dynojet fuel tuning legacy. They’ll effortlessly increase power and smoothness throughout the entire rev range. Whether your bike is stock, heavily modified, or created for high-speed racing, our Jet Kits can tune your air/fuel ratio to perfection. Not only will our motorcycle Jet Kits drastically improve your performance, but they’ll also show immediate results. With an increased power output of 5-8% and a fully adjustable design, our kits are the perfect companions to any rider. Expand your vehicle’s performance capabilities today with them.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey thanks for the great information. Just what I was needing. As for the tangs on the floats yes I bent them before I did any measuring!!!##@@%7 oh well, what now?? should'nt I be able to measure the height and bend accordingly??? where do I measure from to where??? also my carbs had no rubber plugs in the holes, how nessacary are these??

Comment

Originally posted by shack426 View Post
        Hey thanks for the great information. Just what I was needing. As for the tangs on the floats yes I bent them before I did any measuring!!!##@@%7 oh well, what now?? should'nt I be able to measure the height and bend accordingly??? where do I measure from to where??? also my carbs had no rubber plugs in the holes, how nessacary are these??
        You can bend them however you need them but measure this time...

Rubber plugs are necessary to get the pilot circuit to work correctly.

Download a free manual, very helpful.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Where can I get a free download for the manual?? 1981 gs750L

Comment

Hey What A Coincidence... I Have The Exact Same Problem With My 81 Gs750e. I Have To Have The Choke Almost All The Way Out And I Covered Half Of Tho Pods With Duct Tape To Restrict The Flow. Please Let Me Know If You Figure It Out. I Guess We Have To Buy A Jet Kit $$$. Did You Find Out Where To Get The Manual?

Comment

go to basscliff here on the forum. he has a website with manuals and carb pics. great site. so covering the pods with tape helped????

Comment

1981 Gs750e

Seems To Help For Now. Until I Spring For The Jets. But The Idle Is High So I Rigged The Choke With A Plastic Ziptie So That It Would Stay Choked But Is Able To Be Moved In Slightly Without Snapping In Automatically. Good Luck Bro

Comment

hey I have gotten mine to at least run and idle but it falls on its face around 4k. I had to rejett with a main of 120 and pilot jet of 55. I have learned that you need to work on the pilot jet first, get it to where the bike will start pretty good. than work on the other areas .... main jets, needles. Sounds like you need to at least get the pilot jet down in size to start without using choke all way out. Later..............

Comment

I start with float levels first
                    Main jet (full throttle)
                    Jet needle (1/2 throttle)
                    Pilot jet and mixture screws (idle)

55 is way too big.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X